Not that I ever get that way. Or rather, when it happens, I'm not sure I can blame nesting...Joel has banned me from Craigslist in the past for much-needed detox periods...but I had been doing so well, and I really think that this time it was pregnancy-related. Why don't I just tell you what happened, and you can decide for yourselves?
On Monday evening, Joel worked until 8, as is his custom. I was at home eating some dinner (beef stew leftover from Sunday's Reformation Day event; if I hadn't made a gigantic crock pot of that, I don't know what we would have subsisted on this week due to my illness and lack of cooking ability) and hopped on Craigslist for some reason. And for some reason, I searched "pianos".
Now, Joel and I have talked about getting a piano someday. We lamented leaving our piano in Virgina Beach (also a free piano; we have been so blessed!) when we moved north, but realized it just wasn't feasible to bring it with us at that point. And we've discussed how wonderful it would be to have a piano again, for me to play at will, for piano lessons, for impromptu hymn singing when we host prayer meetings and Bible studies. And of course, to make our house a home. But the discussion has always ended with placing the dream back on the shelf, especially now that we are preparing for a baby. There is just no extra money to put toward a piano, since even a used one would cost at least what we might need for, say, a Pack 'n Play.
So, how logical was it for me to look for pianos on Craigslist? Let's just say I knew full well that I was probably walking into an emotional debate with Joel that would end with me questioning my husband's love for me and him being convinced anew of my irrationality. Eyes wide open, I assure you. Always a good time in the Pearce household when Elizabeth hops on Craigslist. But, it couldn't really hurt to just look, right?
Praise the living God who delights in giving His children good things. There were two free pianos listed on Craigslist, and the owner of one of them emailed me back within about twenty minutes of my first inquiry. Long story short, I went to look at the piano that very evening and lo, it was in decent shape and missing only one key (from her email: "it is missing one black key at the far right that you probably don't really need". Clearly, not a player of classical music.). Joel and I discussed that night and - well, how could he say no to a free piano? What husband truly hates his wife in that way?
Enter our plans to recruit help in moving the piano. I blame this next part on me falling ill with a wicked sore throat/cold on Tuesday, and Joel working like a fiend at his two jobs. He thought that I was going to call/email some church guys, and I could have sworn that he said he would send out an email. So, fast forward to Friday afternoon when he's at his second job of the day and asks me if I have people lined up to move the piano.
What???
But again, the Lord was so gracious, and our dear friend Bruce was gung ho about helping move the piano- even volunteering the use of his trailer. I sent out an email, then a few texts, and ultimately called around (hey, it was a last resort - I have this fantastic manly voice from being sick all week and was trying to avoid the phone. Just ask Bruce how many of his calls I ignored...). We had a few no's and no-answers, and I wasn't sure if we would really pull this thing off. But just then, Tim called back and said he could help - so we just needed one more! So this morning Joel recruited Orrin who was, miraculously, available to jump in his car within 45 minutes of the phone call.

So somehow - no, through the Lord's providence - we wound up with a free piano in our library this morning. And I promptly sat down the second our movers were out the door (so I thought - Joel said that Bruce and Tim caught some Chopin on their way out) and cranked out a little Waltz in D-flat Major. Ahhhhh nothing is more soothing to the soul than feeling your fingers slip over piano keys as Chopin's smooth melodies grace the air.
As I was playing, though, I thought about how my mother would have dusted the piano first. And I grabbed the Pledge as soon as I was finished with that first piece because, hello, grimey keys.
Now it's as good as new - or will be, as soon as we have it tuned and that "black key that you probably don't need" (which I needed in the 2nd to last measure of the Waltz) replaced - and the cats are even warming up to it. If a piano makes a house a home, then a cat on the piano must be heaven. As was pointed out to me on Facebook, just wait til we bring a baby home too...I will never want to go anywhere else again!
Soli deo gloria!
Hope you still have that piano lamp. Looks like the piano could use one.
ReplyDeleteWe definitely have it! It's a little droopy - might have to get dad to look at it when you guys visit, see if he can work some engineering magic on it. I blame the last two moves! But it looks great on the piano anyway :).
ReplyDeleteIt was my pleasure.
ReplyDeletebg