Perhaps that's an exaggeration. Instead of a lion, let's compare my first trimester to...shall we say, a large, ornery housecat? For the most part, when I've felt sick it's just been a steady queasiness rather than huge waves of acute nausea. And while I've been tired, I have been pretty good about going to bed relatively early and taking naps when necessary. It's been several weeks since I needed a power nap at work, and I haven't felt queasy in about the same amount of time. I thought things were settling down and ready to ease silently into the second trimester.
Well.
I don't know what Peewee's doing in there, but the last week has really ramped things up. I have not only been eating everything in the house (literally. I think we have half a carton of blueberries and some matchstick carrots in the fridge), but there has been a resurgence in nausea and fatigue. This is week 12, people, we should be moving forward, not backward.
On Sunday I questioned whether I'd make it to church. I blamed the heat that morning, but since then I've continued to feel much more queasy throughout each day as well. Today is the worst, with dueling hunger and nausea all morning. I had two eggs, scrambled, with cheese, and some potatoes from the hospital caf (I can eat eggs, just can't stand to smell them! It helps that they are so buttery and unhealthy here; masks the eggy-ness). I have been nibbling crackers and sipping my water - should have grabbed a ginger ale from the caf while I was there.
And I just took a 20-minute power nap here in my office, which stretched into a 25-minute nap when I hit the snooze button. I really think I could have slept all day. Do you think my supervisors would approve? Thankfully my 10:00 appointment canceled, giving me a little extra time to make up for the nap. This afternoon, my last scheduled appointment/meeting ends at 3:00. Can I justify heading out early? I rationalize this by telling myself that I will get the same amount of work done whether I go home to sleep or remain a zombie here.
Well those are the details of my day. I'm looking forward to ladies' night tonight at Janell's house, and made mini muffins for the occasion. Miraculously, I didn't lose any ingredients and nothing burned in the oven. If I can just squeak in a nap after work, I might be good to go. Otherwise, Laurie, be prepared to carry me home.
In two days, I will officially be 12 weeks pregnant. One more week, and I'll be starting into the second trimester. That is so hard to believe!! I keep telling myself that I'll start packing as soon as I get to that point and have that fabled energy resurgence...it's like a unicorn mermaid mirage right now. Please, let it really exist!
No comments:
Post a Comment