To My Sweet Pea at 12 Weeks

My darling little one, how you have grown! When I first wrote to you, you were the size of a single pea. Now you are at least as large as a plum! You have all of your tiny parts now - arms and legs, fingers and toes. Your heart has been beating strong and steady for several weeks now, and your other organs are getting ready to function as well. You're producing your own blood, and your brain is in control of your organs. Your brain - how well-developed it must already be! Best of all, your face has taken shape. If none of these other signs of life were enough to amaze me, the fact that you have a distinct appearance now is astonishing. Do you look more like your mama or your dada? What color will your eyes be when they finally open? Whose nose will you have?


I wonder what you are doing in there. They say that you are moving already, testing your tiny limbs, swimming and flipping about. Enjoy it while you can, because soon there won't be room in there for all those acrobatics! Oh I'm sure you'll still try, and I will enjoy feeling your vigorous movements. But it will get quite cozy, and before you know it, you'll be ready to leave your warm, safe home and join ours.

Your dada and I cannot wait for that moment, my sweet pea! I remember meeting your beautiful cousin Khloe for the first time. She was very fresh and new when we saw her, barely an hour old. The wave of love that swept over me when I held her was stronger than I had expected! And yet, when I hold you just a moment after you arrive, I know that my entire life will change. In an instant, everything I have ever known about love will pale. Perhaps I will come an iota closer to fathoming our Father's love for His children.

Even now, imagining what that will be like, I am flooded with emotion. Oh tiny one, how we love you, and how we look forward to your life with us! How we have prayed and longed for you, feared you might never be. The Lord is using you already to teach us how small our faith has been, and how great are His goodness and love.

May the theme of your life always be, as it is now, soli deo gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment