But this isn't about that.
Mikayla and Isaac got bored with their repertoire of activities, so they approached me carrying all of the DVDs. She bombarded me with the repeated whiny, "Can we watch this one before dee-ner? Can we watch this one please?" I had told her no several times when it occurred to me that she was still whining, which is a disciplinable offense.
I told Mikayla that if she kept whining, she would have to go in time-out. She asked, "What's time out?" I did not have my answer prepared ahead of time, but thinking quickly, I explained something to the effect that she would have to go sit by herself for a few minutes, not doing anything, and it would help her learn to obey.
She happily disappeared in the direction of the office. When I asked what she was doing, she said excitedly, "Can I go to time out in here?? Can I sit by myself in the office? Can I have time out now?" Which, actually, yes, that is where the time-out chair will probably be when we use it.
Moms, how did you introduce the concept of a time-out to your children? I clearly need a few pointers.
I should implement time-out. I think that, for us, time-outs are for older children. Jillian would think it is fun, because she likes being by herself. And Liam, only now, would go in time-out without requiring a spanking to actually get him to SIT in time-out. But thanks for this reminder of another type of punishment to implement.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, I implemented it only because other moms do it and I felt like I should have another tool in my parenting tool belt besides spanking. I agree that it might wait til Mikayla is a little older because seriously? Getting to sit on a special chair all by yourself is the epitome of a TREAT for this girl, not a punishment!
ReplyDelete