Library Books and Failed Photo Ops

Full disclosure: This is one of those Pinterest Mom moments for me, where I dress my kids in coordinating fall outfits and take them on an educational outing. And it's hilarious that I just made it sound like this happens, like, more than once. What I'm saying is, don't be fooled. This is on the blog because it is momentous, not because it is routine. Ok, I feel better now knowing that YOU know that I know I am not super mom.

Moving right along. Today, the kids and I went to visit Joel at work "with all the BOOKS!!" Mikayla is certain there are at least ten books at the library. That girl is good with estimating. We started planning this two days ago, and I still managed not to bake the banana bread that I wanted to take for his coworkers. I totally want to be That Wife but alas, see above, not super mom. Life happens.

What I DID manage was getting the kids dressed all in brown and orange, Mikayla in her fancy embroidered jeans that I usually avoid like the plague because isn't the point of jeans that EVERYTHING matches them? Why would you get into a situation where you have to color and style coordinate with your jeans?? Isaac wore this totally handsome brown and orange striped shirt with that fake long-sleeve layer look going on. Oh man. Between that, shorts, and his preppy sandals, the college guys on campus had nothing on my little dude.

I'm bragging because my daughter has been dressing herself lately and has little regard for concepts like a color wheel and that you're not supposed to mix stripes with a bold fruit print. And Isaac...it's a good day when he simply remains dressed. So matching themselves and each other? I deserve my fifteen minutes for this, ok?

Did I mention I also wore a cute brown shirt?

In my secret heart of hearts, I was hoping that somebody would notice how fantastic we all looked together and insist on taking a photo of us for the university website. Realistic dreams, guys, all the way.

This was our first official checking-books-out library trip as a family. (Yeah, that not-super-mom thing again. My kids have never had library books before. We've done story time though, if that counts.) And can I tell you how cool it was to have Dadda as our librarian? He showed us where the children's books were, recommended a few, and then took us down the secret back stairs to where he showed us how he checks them out with the "Super Computer!" as Mikayla proclaimed. (Thank you, Super Why!)

They helped Dadda run them through that magic thing that makes the alarm not go off - not that we needed to. We were ushered out a secret back door because I'm married to one of the top bananas, or because we had already caused enough disturbance out in the open. I can never tell if we are special or a liability.


Isaac was a little behind; they were already bagging books when he decided to jump in.


Putting all our books into the bag, with Sister Joanne's help.



And of course there were plenty of book carts, the perfect size and height for tiny hineys to sit on.


I never did get that Pinterest-perfect shot of the kids and me gloriously and patiently reading a new library book together while sunlight streamed in through the tall library windows.  Probably because that never actually happened. You know what matters more, though? I got to see, in real life, my children delighting in books, greeting friends and strangers with smiles and open hearts, and generally bringing lots of sunshine to our little learning opportunity. I'm thankful sometimes when the photo ops don't pan out, and we are stuck with just plain old life. It's good to view the world and especially the ones we love through our own eyes, capturing the moments in our hearts instead of through a lens.

I'll take a blurry shot of my daughter not looking at the camera and Isaac missing because he ran at the last minute, as a reminder that they are too full of life to stay still and pose just right. They are just right the way they are.

Thanks, Dadda, for making our first library visit a memorable one!

No comments:

Post a Comment