Isaac's 18 Months Old!

Isaac is 18 months old, as of Sunday. He's such a big boy! Since I blog in lieu of doing an actual baby book (I bailed out pretty quickly on that one, to avoid that whole future-sibling envy of the firstborn's gorgeous baby book, followed by a bunch of photos shoved haphazardly into a notebook as you later realize motherhood is more about chasing children than memorializing them)...how about a few updates?

Isaac is a climber. Onto chairs, up the stairs, into the car. Anything he can reach is fair game! He also loves remotes and phones, which he uses interchangeably to control the TV and talk to Papa (or Pop Pop, depending on the day and his enunciation). "Haa-oooooo, pa pa!"

He's got words, too. Mama, Dadda, Layla, ME!, God, yes, please, all done, no, cracker, cookie, cup, hi/hey, bye, Mema (Jamma), Papa, Pop pop, Amy, Becca...I guess he basically knows the names to all his favorite things and people! (He also definitely knows the word "pee-pee", but I didn't know if I should include that for the sake of decorum?) He is sharpening up on his animal sounds. He used to tell me that a cow says both "moo" and "bah", but I attribute that to normal development. He was perhaps a little young for the rapid set-switching. Now, he easily runs through cow, sheep, dog, cat, duck, and horse. He also knows his body parts, but gets the biggest kick out of pointing at your nose when you ask where his nose is. He gets that adorable mischievous smile on his face, as though he's pulling one over on you.

Isaac is his sister's biggest fan. He imitates her at every opportunity, which is nice when it comes to using dishes and silverware at the table. He sometimes asks to sit on the potty, and assumes that the whole point of it is to sit still for 2-3 seconds, and then rub a shard of toilet paper on his bum. He also attempts to rub bits of toilet paper on other people's bums at times. Learning the concepts, people, learning the concepts.

Speaking of imitation, today Mikayla took off toward the stairs waving a toy and singing a little song. Isaac motored after her, waving his hand in similar fashion and making the same sing-songy sounds. So adorable! As I turned the corner myself, I watched Mikayla pivot with all her two-year-old grace and scoot down the stairs. Isaac, on the other hand, ran smack into an empty diaper pail and fell clumsily on his hiney. Quite the epitome of little brother trying to keep up with big sister, and it gave me such a chuckle!

We spent the last week teething. And by "we", I mean Isaac spent the week or more in abject misery and did his best to project his pain onto the rest of us as well. Poor kid. I am pleased to report that his first molar broke through yesterday! Well, I felt the edge of it today on his gum, whereas he has refused to let me anywhere near his mouth or gums for the past few weeks. I'm assuming that means it erupted yesterday or this morning. I can hardly wait for the contralateral molar to catch up.

Isaac eats meat and carbs with gusto. He is choosy about his vegetables, preferring the green ones. He is on the fence with regard to salad, which he uses more as a vehicle for salad dressing. He licks it off and promptly double-dips his spinach leaf back into his tiny puddle of creamy french. Isaac has rejected all fruits not pureed and in a pouch, up until the past week when he FINALLY embraced watermelon! I suspect he has texture issues.

He had his first haircut awhile back and is overdue for another. The mullet is filling in a bit, and his hair is growing out over his ears again. Fortunately, he's so stinkin' handsome that the ladies hardly notice the hair issues. Speaking of ladies, he knows how to give a handshake, and he knows what to do with a lady's hand: he ducks his face down and plants a big smacker on the back of it. I have seen at least two church ladies melt into a big puddle of baby love over this trick in the past few weeks.

He still sleeps like a dream, 7:30pm until the neighborhood of 7:00 a.m., and a two-hour-ish nap from 12-2. Except when he's teething, but we're hoping for a return to normalcy in the next few days.

Isaac's personality is so sweet and mellow, and yet also decidedly silly. He has a fearless streak that'll get us into trouble sooner than later. He is my little snuggle muffin all the way.



I love you, son, my precious miracle baby, and a sign of the Lord's bounteous goodness to us. My heart overflows at the sweetness of this last year and a half of enjoying you and your sister together.

Soli deo gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment