I've been trialling a new home-mixed face wash for the past few weeks and thought I'd share. I mixed it up using some Dr. Bronner's castille soap, grapeseed oil from the grocery store, and some strong-brewed chamomile tea. It feels very smooth and only slightly soapy. I was initially concerned that my face wouldn't get clean smearing actual oil on it every day.
But?
It turns out different kinds of oils have different effects on the skin. Just like you can get face products for different skin types. So grapeseed oil seems to actually dry my skin just slightly - not too much, but I usually look forward to moisturizing afterward. The chamomile is very soothing and the castille soap is super mild. I added a few drops of orange essential oil for fragrance, and I love it! I'm such a fruity, especially citrusy, body product girl. I used to adore Bath and Body Works mandarin whatever that fragrance was, until I realized the body wash left my skin itchy.
Probably the number one reason for going all natural in my beauty products: sensitive skin. I never thought of my skin as overly sensitive, but I couldn't deny that it didn't feel good after a shower using my favorite store-bought products. I had better success with store-bought super-moisturizing varieties like those containing oatmeal or aloe. But still felt my skin wasn't super clean.
If you're interested in trying your own face wash, here's the recipe:
http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-natural-facial-cleanser/
(Visit the link for notes on which oils to try based on your skin type.)
Basic recipe:
Brew a cup of strong chamomile tea and allow to cool.
Mix:
1/4 cup of your cooled chamomile tea
1/4 cup castille soap
3/4 teaspoon oil (I used grapeseed, see link for other ideas)
8 drops essential oil (probably optional; I used sweet orange because I had it on hand)
This took all of a minute to mix up, and it seems like it will last me forever. A little goes a LONG way. I measured my ingredients into a bowl, whisked, and poured into a little half-pint jar. I'm still waiting for someone to give me an old soap pump but until then, I dip a little out with my fingers. I do shake it up before using because the ingredients separate a bit. Ah, the inconveniences of banishing preserving and stabilizing chemicals from my beauty regimen! But I do get to enjoy the simple beauty of glass jars lining my counter and shower. (I would probably use something plastic if I were sharing the shower with the kiddos, but I trust myself not to drop them. So far.)
Also, reviewing the recipe, I am pretty sure I added way too much oil to mine. I may or may not have added 3/4 cup instead of 3/4 teaspoon. (Not an isolated incident when cooking and creating with toddlers. Sometimes they switch my measuring cups on purpose, or better yet, hide them. Also I get very distracted making sure nobody falls off of a kitchen chair or opens the knife drawer.)
Well I guess that would explain why it made enough to last me six months. And yet it still cleans my face. In fact it leaves my skin nice and dewy. I've also been using a body scrub (also pictured above) made with grapeseed oil, white sugar, and a dab of honey, and LOVE how glowy my whole body has been. So apparently my skin just adores the grapeseed oil!
Nothing like sharing your beauty secrets on the internets and realizing you've been doing it wrong.
And yes, I have a metal lid on my body scrub. In my shower. I like to flirt with danger, or at least the possibility that my body products could rust shut. Sigh...I guess I'll go replace that with a plastic one, now that you're all making me feel super guilty about it.
Have you tried anything like this? Any tips or variations you'd recommend, other than actually following the recipe?
No comments:
Post a Comment