If you don't believe me, then you must not know that Mikayla recently started a conversation with me by saying, "Hey Momma, how's pickin's?" That's a line from "Lady and the Tramp" that I'm pretty confident she has never heard in real life. A bit frightening, really, and a great reminder to mind my own tongue.
She also responds to 98% of my communication with, "But why?"
I'm thankful to have a slightly endearing version of the "Why? Why? Why?" stage going on. It's pretty adorable, and I don't know which episode of what show taught her that. It makes me feel like I'm raising a right proper little lady, which of course is by the hand of God because I used to tell my mom that "Well, I'm not a lady!" when she'd rebuke me for unladylike behavior.
And if you still aren't convinced of my daughter's need for structure, consider what happened today when she got up from her nap to use the potty. I heard the potty sounds, the water running, and then silence. I went up to check, and she had pooped in the potty, and her undies were nowhere be found. The conversation:
Me: Where are your undies?
M: In the diaper pail.
Me: (confused) Huh?
M: In the diaper pail!
Me: Oh, here they are! ....they're wet. (smells them) Mikayla, did you...RINSE your undies?
M: (matter-of-factly) Yes.
Me: Why? Did you get some on them?
M: Yes, I got a yittle poop in my undies!
Me: ......Well that's awesome! Thanks!
M: (still waiting patiently on the potty for me to clean her up)
She is clearly picking up everything I and the rest of her little world are laying down. And since she is resorting to imitating maternal poop-cleaning behaviors, I figure I ought to throw her a bone and teach her something age-appropriate and fun.
Thus began Project Pre-K.
You may have heard that I'm remaking the playroom into a magnificent beacon of homeschooling glory. You heard wrong, because so far I have merely slapped one coat of primer on the walls and loaded my Amazon cart with a few supplies.
| Let's just say, we're not there yet. Shout out to our neighbor's shrub. |
BUT. The finished product (the vision, anyway) will have you elem. ed. majors geeking out. The maps. The lamination. Laminated maps. The laminated calendar, weather graph, and sticky tack. Bible verse flash cards, the works.
Don't get too concerned. This is all the work I intend to do for the entire year, short of stalking my sister's Pinterest boards for craft and "science" ideas to make me seem like an awesome mom every so often. But at least we can do some circle time every morning, talk about the weather, learn days of the week, and discover simple chore-charting (possibly more for me than for Mikayla. For some reason it is beyond me to brush teeth right after breakfast every day. It usually happens by nap time though, so it's all good.) And get to the library on a weekly basis...and yes, I need a laminated calendar in bright primary colors to remind me to do that, too.
With all this organizing and prepping going on, I thought I'd mention a sweet blog/website I've come across with lots of free homeschool resources. It's called www.homeschoolcreations.com. I've bookmarked a bunch of her free printable flashcards and whatnot because I am so excited about laminating things and then cutting them with my $5 yardsale paper cutter. But I digress.
She's also got this homeschool planner that has some pretty sweet reviews. Check it out, and if you purchase it using this link, it would theoretically help to defray the cost of my planner, should I hypothetically decide to buy one ever in the distant future, but don't worry honey I'm not spending more money, really.
So, check it out if you feel so inclined. Your $20 buys you a download for a planner that will last as many years as you want to use it. It's an editable PDF planner that you can print or just use electronically, so that you can keep on editing and saving lesson plans and have them ready to go from year to year. Also included are places for menu planning and chore charting so that everything is in one place. It's the planner that your old planner wants to be when it grows up. And if you buy it, you'll be able to avoid anything else school-related for at least another month because hey, you totally got started already on the organizing. That always makes me feel like I can procrastinate on the actual work.
How about you? Are you getting excited for fall, whether to begin a new school year or to finally feel like soup and hot tea are seasonal menu choices again? I can't wait for that first crisp day that calls for a light sweater and a crunchy walk over the leaves.

No comments:
Post a Comment