You know your new chiropractor is serious business when he has a belt holster for his adjusting tool. Some people carry around their late 90's Verizon flip phone, but this dude can alleviate subluxations at a moment's notice.
This post isn't really about my chiropractor. I just have minimal filtration between my brain and my mouth (or in this case, keyboard) so if I think it, I type it.
Explains a lot, doesn't it?
So last night, Mikayla insisted that she didn't need to wear a pull up to bed. Well, what happened was, we put her to bed at 8:30 and she spent the next hour and a half getting up to use the potty, with about 50% success rate. At some point along the way, she insisted that her bone-dry diaper was, in fact, very wet and she refused to put it back on. This has happened before when she requested a new pull up.
(I may or may not routinely put the "wet" diaper back into the pack for future use, and/or turn around and tell her it is a new diaper. I've also spent some time meditating on the spirit vs. the letter of the law when it comes to lying. Is it wrong to harmlessly misrepresent the condition of a princess pull-up to your two-year-old?)
More to the point, that is NOT what happened last night. No, my big girl told me plainly that she did not need to wear a diaper. She would only wear pants. No diaper. Seriously, momma, I don't need a diaper tonight.
This from a girl who has had one accident-free day since we started potty training last week. (That said, she has admittedly stayed dry every naptime but one.)
There are many moments in a momma's life when you figure a load of laundry is a small price to pay to avoid wailing and gnashing of teeth. This was one of them. In a moment of desperation, I pulled her pajama shorts up, gave her a kiss, and sent up a silent prayer that she would at least sleep through wetting the bed so that I could deal with it in the morning. Joel later asked me, "Do you realize she will probably wake you up at 2:00 a.m. to change her sheets?" Yes, yes I do. But there are complicated psychological principles at work here known as "I can pretend the consequence isn't coming, as long as life is good now." It's this kind of thinking that allows people to engage in insider trading, sexual misconduct, and, apparently, giving your toddler a diaper pass if it means she'll stay in her bed for the next few hours. Avoidance and denial at their best. It's ok! Future me won't mind getting out of bed to clean up an accident!
Also in the back of my mind, I recalled my mother telling me this was how I nighttime potty trained. I bypassed the sticker chart and insisted I could stay dry. She let me go for it, and I never looked back. Mikayla has more than a little of my personality, so I kind of thought I'd give her a chance.
Wouldn't you know, she got up another time or two to use/pretend to use the potty. And she did wake up at 3:00 in the morning, but it was due to "bad sleep". She needed a hug and a prayer, rather than a full bed linen change. Praise the Lord!
But you guys, big girl was still dry this morning! Of course she hadn't asserted her independence quite enough by going bare-bottom, so she insisted on trekking downstairs and across the house to use a different potty, rather than using the one she couldn't stay away from at 9:30 last night. And then she pooped on the kitchen floor two minutes later.
Doesn't it take EXTRA effort not to poop when you are already sitting on the potty?
I'm not really counting it against her though. How can I, when she had her first all night potty success?? Yay, Mikayla!
And now you're probably more up to speed than you wanted to be. Thanks for checking in!
No comments:
Post a Comment