Consider this a plug for our local thrift store, the Goodwill that is just around the corner from our house.
Having just finished my EPPP (Exam for the Professional Practice of Psychology, or, Question Your Career Choice for Four Hours In a Small Room) yesterday, I decided to spend today doing things that I just, you know, felt like doing. Well that and ironing all the shirts Joel has been hanging on the closet door for the past three weeks and that I have been ignoring "because I have to study". Please don't feel devalued, fair readers, but once the ironing was finished, shopping for a few new (to me) things fell juuuuust above "finally blogging again" on my to-do list.
And seriously? There are some women in the Akron/Ephrata area who have seriously cleaned out their closets lately, and who know how to shop. I scored eight tops, one hippie skirt, and one pair of Caribbean Joe comfy pants for me, and two skirts, one dress, and a top that goes with both skirts for Mikayla. All for $45. I don't mean to brag, but I brought home brands like Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, The Limited, and Old Navy. My new pants went straight into the birth center bag; nothing like a little something new to make you feel pretty after giving birth, right?
Also, you might get a kick out of my criteria for today's purchases. Comfy and modest, good for wearing to church or work when I need to nurse/pump. I operationalized these criteria by asking myself the following questions: 1) Can I get this on (mostly) over my pregnant belly? 2) Is there any way Mikayla could stuff something down inside the front of this when I'm not looking?
If the answers to those questions weren't Yes and No, respectively, then on the hanger it stayed. And yes, Mikayla was there to dutifully help me decide.
I can only imagine what was running through the other shoppers' minds as they watched me waddling through the non-maternity section, and heading into the fitting rooms with all my items. Most of it was probably along the lines of "Oh honey...I don't think so."
This leads me to the second part of the post, which is a rant against current maternity styles.
The (longer, stretchy) tops I found in the regular women's section fit better than anything I tried on from the maternity rack. Seriously, I'm not sure who they think they are designing clothing for. What is the point of material that stretches (barely) around your girth if it stops 3/4 of the way down? Pregnant women are supposed to have large bellies, right? The problem is compounded by the fact that I work in an upstairs office, so my clients get a potential view of my underbelly as I waddle down the stairs to fetch them every hour. Gotta cover that business. You'd think the maternity clothing designers would be all over that. But they are not. Just thought you should know.
In conclusion, I brought home my purchases and proceeded to weed all the no-longer-fitting maternity clothing from my closet, replacing them with new, non-maternity but, in some cases, more accommodating items (makes perfect sense in month 9 of pregnancy, right?). I remember doing this when I was pregnant with Mikayla...toward the very end, bagging up all my maternity stuff to return or put away, feeling so D-U-N with this long growth process and eager to reverse it. Not to mention so. ready. to meet this little one who spends all his time tirelessly kneading my insides!
That about sums up my day. It's terribly mundane, I know, but there's nobody else around to tell, and nobody twisted your arm to read this far, did they? And if a trip to the Goodwill was blog-worthy, how uneventful has my life been lately? Study study study, with short breaks for food and bathroom. Sigh. I'm even cranky when I have a chance to edit. Must be time for bed!
God is good...next post: a recap of His recent faithfulness (to debunk the whole "uneventful" notion I just set forth; set aside some time, it might get lengthy!). SDG!
No comments:
Post a Comment