37 Weeks Tomorrow, and READY!

The post was dated January 1, 2011, but the events described took place on New Year's Eve. I had cleaned the kitchen and rearranged the utensil drawers. Mikayla was born about two weeks later. I wish I had noted when I reorganized the entire basement.

Fast forward a little over a year, and we find ourselves in a similar predicament, hoping for a similar outcome.

It has really only been the last few weeks that I have felt Really. Stinkin. Pregnant.  As in, tossing toys onto the floor from the couch in hope that it will keep Mikayla amused. And then asking her to bring them back so we can do it again. Repeat. Thankfully, she is turning into one helpful, obedient little girl! (Today she brought her snack container over to me from the diaper bag, asking "please! please!" with her hand motions. So I am placing small handfuls of Cheerios, raisins, and walnut pieces on the couch next to me. We are golden for the next 15-20 minutes.)

This morning, I was sitting on the couch just praying to keep my eyes open until her nap. When she went down a little before 10, what did I do? Did I flop onto my own bed, thankful for an opportunity to nab a bit more sleep? Did I engage in a peaceful, sitting-down activity such as the several that are on my to-do list? (i.e. make a client list with phone numbers in case of early labor, fill out PPLE scheduling form, etc.) Of course not. I grabbed a can of Pledge and a rag, and went to freaking TOWN in our bedroom.

(Full disclosure: I first typed "a can of furniture duster stuff", but then realized that it has an actual name that sounds slightly less idiotic.)

Everything up there is dusted. Dressers, nightstands, top shelves, bottom shelves, hall tables. Also. There are items in garbage bags that we have been holding onto for, if not our full 5.5 years of marriage, then darn close. (As an aside, I hope Joel approves the blond mullet wig for departure, but that is neither here nor there in my story.) Once everything was dusted and gone through, I also organized every drawer that opened, as well as under our bed, a space I haven't dared look at since Christmas. My stars. I don't know how I kept getting up and down and around the whole room, but it certainly seemed worth it at the time. Wore me plumb out, and then of course Mikayla woke up.

So here we sit doing the lazy snack thing and hoping lunch time just maybe passes us by today (ha ha) because, FINDING food and GETTING it ready and HEATING something up and POURING drinks and CLEANING up afterward. It can just be too much for a girl sometimes, you know?

So anyway, all that to say, I hope that Saturday's shopping trip and closet weed-out combined with the ridiculousness of this morning means that this is the two-week warning, as it was for Mikayla. How about you? Did you have a flurry of nesting activity a certain time before your baby arrived?

No comments:

Post a Comment