Week 18 Already!

I told Joel last night that we need to do a new belly picture, stat. Things are really rounding out, and I don't want to miss this stage of the belly progression. In the past week, my belly has actually started getting in my way. To others, it may not look so huge; but to me, it is a definite change from pre-pregnancy belly, and I find myself needing to re-assess how much space I need. For instance, I was making our guest bed the other day for my parents (can't wait to have you visit!!), and squeezing between the bedpost and wall was something I could have EASILY done a few months ago. But now - well, my guests might have to bring their own sleeping bags in the near future. I also tend to underestimate how far open the bedroom door needs to be for me to fit through...we keep it closed to hold onto the cool a/c air, and put something in front of it to keep it from swinging open. I'll eyeball the narrow opening and assume I can fit, and find my belly banging off of the door jamb.
I better adjust now, before it gets even worse, eh?

I've announced the pregnancy at work now. Several supervisors said they had been suspecting that might be pregnant. One of them has suspected for at least two months, since I went home sick one morning and had to cancel supervision. I should have known, working with a bunch of psychologists, that they would all be super observant and privy to my secrets.

Our baby is about the length of a bell pepper, and weighs about 5 1/2 ounces. I swear I felt him/her move a week or so ago, but I haven't felt the same thing since so - either I was mistaken, or this is one sleepy, mild-mannered child! (I would be ok with the latter...) I do look forward to feeling his/her movements in the next few weeks, and I know Joel can't wait to be able to feel the kicks too.


Other miscellaneous symptoms, for the record: leg cramps at night, and the need for a pregnancy "wedgie", as Joel calls my wedge-shaped pillow that helps support my belly at night. That thing is my saving grace when it comes to better sleep. The past few days I have felt more woozy with the heat, just a little light-headed at times. The baby's heartbeat continues to be strong and steady on our home doppler. My appetite - well, it's not quite as ravenous as it was, but I do still need a pretty steady stream of food and calories or else I get quite cranky. No stretch marks yet, and I hope to keep it that way! (Do you hear me, genes?)

I have a midwife appointment today, and our 20-week ultrasound is in a few weeks. Stay tuned for a new baby portrait :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment