This is a blog entry about my pants. Pants that fit me a just a few months ago, that were actually a bit loose in the waist back in March.
But today? Today, my friends, these pants are getting more than they bargained for. The day of the Bella Band has officially passed at week 19.
For awhile there, I would pull on my cute brown work pants, leave them unbuttoned, and tug an elastic Bella Band around the waist to keep things secure. It worked like a charm, with the pants just unfastened and the Bella Band working its magic. But this week marks a turning point in the use of the Bella Band, at least for this blossoming mama.
You see, it isn't actually doing anything. My pants, which at this point don't begin to zip, let alone button, are hanging on for dear life while the Bella Band sort of holds the unfastened flaps next to my belly - when I bother to tug the pants up and the Band down. For the most part now it just gasps for air as it stretches around my belly, riding up and down from opposite ends, while I silently thank Motherhood Maternity that their shirts are so long and flowy that nobody can see my poor pants failing miserably at their job (that is, covering me from my amply-proportioned waist down).
On the bright side, I think having tight elastic around my belly is making me look a little thinner.
BAHAHAHAHA.
A random co-worker, who has not received the pregnancy memo, stopped me in the hall today and said with wonder, "Are you going to have a baby?" Yes, Nelly, yes I am. Thank you for noticing. (Actually, I don't mind at all noticeably showing. I think it's fun! But it does let you know that I am serious about my poor pants.) She followed her question up with a statement (pronouncement?): "Boy!" and walked off. I told her I'd mark her down as a boy vote, and she said confidently that she was going to win. I guess we'll see!
Whatever the gender, he or she is certainly active. Perhaps my pants would stay up a bit better if it weren't for all the wiggling that's going on in my belly! It is just too cool to sit here churning out transfer and closure summaries on my patients like it's my job (oh wait....right...) and feel that little thump thump of baby appendages against my tummy. I am past wondering if it is gas, because if this is a digestive issue then I should be seriously worried. I've also been feeling sort of crampy the past few days, making me wonder if a growth spurt is afoot - the last time I felt this way, my belly popped out over the weekend.
My belly's saying yes, but my pants are saying, no, no!
Guess it's time to shop!
[*Rachel L.: How in the world did you wear your normal jeans through your whole pregnancy? You're making me feel like a bit of a hippo here...]
1. My normal jeans just so happen to be magical. You know, like those ones in that movie? They were pretty much the only ones that ended up fitting. And by fitting, I mean I had to tie a hairband around the button, into the hole, and back around the button. 2. Hippos are my 2nd favorite animal. 3. I had a girl, you're having a boy. 4. I scored a couple great pairs of maternity pants from Gap, etc from thrifting this summer. Let me know if you're interested, I will bring them on Sunday, and you can borrow them. 5. Are those the pants you wore two Sundays ago? I was seriously envious over them.
ReplyDelete1. It would have to be a heck of a brave rubber band at this point for that trick to work for me. 2. Sweet! 3. You might be right. 4. YES! I wish I had seen this comment sooner. I will be in touch about said pants. 5. Probably! They are probably my favorite pants, which is why I don't want to alienate them too badly by continuing to wear them when they really don't fit.
ReplyDelete