Sugar Fast: Day One

Read this first if you didn't know that there's a sugar fast going on.

The first time I heard somebody say that she was addicted to sugar, I hmmed politely but inside I did the HUGEST eye roll. Please. Addicted to sugar? Even if that was a thing, what's the big deal? It's, like, below even caffeine on the "everyone's doing it" list. You can't even convince me that it's a gateway drug. "Oooh shoot, busted for meth. You know, it all started when she started sending her husband out for Dunkin' Donuts on weeknights."

Now, here I am. If sugar dependence exists, I am its poster child. Literally, like the posters on the wall when I was in sixth grade of all the farm animals smoking cigarettes, but me with a cupcake, with the same caption, "It looks just as stupid when you do it!"

You know what's a great way to start your sugar fast? Head to the grocery store on day one. Wander the aisles in search of a few things, and walk boldly past the sweet treats for some holiday that's coming up next weekend. Pick up some ricotta cheese after successfully avoiding the ice cream case. Honestly, it was no big deal, but I can only imagine in another week or two how it might feel - will it be easier or more difficult to avoid the sweets?

And then there's the well-meaning hubby who said to me this evening, "So how's the sugar fast going?" And I said, "Well, fine so far." And he replied, "Well, we have this banana cake in the fridge that needs to get eaten." Thanks, babe. Glad you were able to take care of that for me and remove a big temptation. Right in my face. Also there might have been a little sugar in my coffee this morning, but I am so not complaining about that because I have freshly roasted, freshly ground coffee made and waiting for me every morning when I stumble to the kitchen. #spoiled

So far, I haven't really thought of sweets other than when they were waved in my face. Had applesauce on my pancakes this morning instead of syrup, no biggie. Day One under my belt without breaking a sweat. Tonight and into the next few days, I'll be reflecting on what I want to direct myself toward when faced with a craving or temptation. It's intended to be a spiritual discipline, obviously, but I feel like it should be parenting-oriented somehow. Food for thought....haha...food. See what I did there? Because this is about fasting.

Any input for me on doing a sugar fast? When might I expect to get all cranky and cravy, as I've heard about?

No comments:

Post a Comment