Some people applaud the use of flooring materials that "hide dirt". I used to pretend I was one of them. But, friends? You've officially lost me. Why in the world would I want a floor that might be dirty, but doesn't actually look dirty so that I know that I should clean it?
And also, as a mom of people who have recently learned to use the potty and still sometimes, you know, forget or don't quite make it in time - the experience of locating puddles with my feet is not a welcome one. Was that warm or cold? Like, body temperature warm? Judging from the quantity, was it a splash from an exuberant hand-washing or the contents of a preschool-sized bladder? Or perhaps an apple juice spill that nobody bothered to tell mom about? Did the tall, handsome gentleman who sometimes helps with the baby leave the diaper sprayer on by accident?
So a floor that is mottled and textured and hides all that great information from my eyes so that my feet may stumble upon it unannounced...not my cup of tea. Which might also be spilled and stepped in on any given morning.
I'm not saying I want a white ceramic tile running through the house. Lord have mercy, no. But my kitchen floor, beige with shades of off-white and...other beige...that is a death trap or at least a gross trap for my bare feet. Show me your dirt and I will mop you. Stick to my feet and I will curse you under my breath and get cranky with my kids. Dirt camouflage is dumb.
Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. And for the record, I've steam mopped twice in the past four days because that kind of clean is addictive. I've been walking around with confident steps, allowing the full flat of my foot to make contact with the floor instead of doing the toe-heel foot-arching thing when the floor gets gross. Too bad I have to return the Shark to my sister-in-law. Although she just had a baby. I wonder how long it would take her to realize it's still at my place?
No comments:
Post a Comment