Pitching the Sugar Fast

If you know me at all, you probably know that I am a sugar fiend. Well, a food fiend. I'm an eater. And when I cook, it's with butter and garlic and all the things that are delicious. And when I bake, it's three pies in one evening for my husband and brother-in-law's birthday party - blueberry, pecan, and apple crumb. I don't exactly shy away from the eat. Thank you, breastfeeding.

But sugar has a special place in my heart. Or in my extra dessert stomach, depending on who you ask. Give that up? Nay, gentle fool.

The Lord has been working on me, though, in that small nagging way that He sometimes does. I came across this sugar fast idea on this Moms of Boys Facebook page that I follow. Fast from sugar? How would that ever be possible for me? Dessert is a food group, a staple. I like my coffee blond and sweet, and I stress-eat like all mommas do at the end of the day. Or in the bathroom with the door locked while I eat a fun-size Snickers in two bites before the kids catch on. Some mommas do wine, I do cookies.

So, am I dependent on it? Gulp. That's a whole 'nother question, and one that I've ignored because sugar? So not a big deal. But again, that little nagging feeling that I am missing out on something that might happen if I give it up. Similar to the notion that giving up social media periodically is good for the soul. And hey, if I've done that and benefited...then perhaps the sugar fast might not be a bad idea?

What I'm saying is, I'm ready to find out. And I need accountability. If I put it on the internets, then I have to follow through, right? The sugar fast I linked to above has 16 days left. That seems doable. 16 days with no added sugar, no dessert, no candy. Which is awesome timing because I've got the remains of three pies and a banana cake in the fridge, and we just scored something like 20 pounds of M&M products this weekend at the Hackettstown Spring Festival (or Festi-bull, depending on who in my house you're talking to) and they are lazing around in baskets just taunting me with their siren song. The kids can hear the sound of a wrapper from across the house, through three closed doors, and they ask me what I'm eating despite my best not-chewing-anything poker face. Hmm, speaking of accountability, I think the way to nail this sugar fast is to tell my kids that momma's not going to eat any sweets for awhile. It won't even be worth cheating, knowing the inquisition that will follow.

I think I'm ready for the challenge. I'm ready to be free from sugar, if that's a thing, and feel my energy skyrocket (theoretically), and grow closer to the Lord as I use the fast to prompt prayer and Scripture reading (hopefully). I'm not sure that I'm ready for the effect on my moods, if sugar dependence is as real as I've read. Since I use blogging as a sort of journaling, perhaps I'll blog my way through it for your amusement/edification.

Does anybody else want to join me? Thinking about a different kind of fast? Or have you sugar fasted and succeeded? I'm curious to hear how this has gone for others. And I'm super curious to see how the Lord will use this to somehow prune my heart, as strange a thing as it is for me to try to give up!


No comments:

Post a Comment