Let's Make a Craft or a Mess, Whichever Comes First!

This morning, Mikayla wound her arms around her daddy's neck and tearfully told him, "I don't want you to go to work! I want you to stay and eat breakfast with me!"

What a little heartbreaker! I don't know how he made it out the door.

Because she missed her dadda, we (I) decided to make an "I love you" craft for Joel when he arrives home. My initial vision involved gluing pieces of pipe cleaner (which the kids LOVE to play with) onto paper in the shape of letters to read, "I love you!" That idea lasted all of two seconds, until I saw how incessantly Isaac grabbed at all of the pipe cleaners and how little interest Mikayla had in gluing them down accurately.

The immediately revised plan: Momma writes "I love you, dadda!" on the paper, and the kids glue pipe cleaner pieces wherever the heck they want to. Preferably on the paper, probably also on their heads. Also, the kids scribble with crayons to "decorate" the paper.


The reality: Momma writes on the paper, and glues the pipe cleaner pieces in the spots that Mikayla points to. Momma also glues some hearts on because that seems sweet. Mikayla scribbles on the card until she is bored two minutes later and asks for a different paper to draw on. Isaac scribbles on the card for only ten seconds, and proceeds to taste-test each crayon before throwing it emphatically to the ground. He then cries because the crayons are on the floor where he can no longer eat them.

Momma's takeaway lesson is to hold my plans and goals loosely with these little ones. What seems like a great, kid-friendly idea in my head often winds up way overshooting their abilities and interests. You preschool teachers out there are barely containing your laughter, I know. Aren't I, with my lofty expectations, so cute and naive?



The real kicker, though, is that you know when Joel walks in the door they are both going to take full credit for the "I love you" card. Fortunately Joel can still tell our handwriting apart, so he'll know I helped. And maybe he'll take it to work to keep on his desk for a bit, to remind him how much his little fan club loves their dadda, and how much his wife adores him for loving them back.




No comments:

Post a Comment