Today, I'm canning beets. I know, that's totally what you expected after Thursday's post detailing our upcoming surprise vacation. Why would I be doing something relevant like packing? No, this summer I'm learning that produce waits for no man. The gardener picks the beets when they're ready, and they will be no good if they are left in either garden or refrigerator for an extra week while we frolic about New Jersey. So, regardless of when that hotel room is booked, a-canning I shall go.
If you had told me ten years, five years...or even two or three years ago...that I'd be canning the produce that my husband harvested from our backyard garden, I would have chuckled and possibly made you feel insulted for saying so. My knowledge of canning comprised opening a few jars of something at some point and wondering what manner of witchcraft was at work in there. I figured I'd avoid the whole mystery altogether, if only to spare my family the risk of botulism, which I've heard is unpleasant.
But to date, I've apprenticed under a good friend as we canned applesauce, peaches, and beets. I've canned 24 quarts of applesauce completely solo, and have done beets twice this summer. I've also blanched and frozen green beans, but I don't take quite as much credit for that since it involves much less chemistry and prayer.
I hope this doesn't sound like boasting...far from it, I am marveling at how the Lord has taught me about the beauty and simplicity of local produce, even experiencing the hard work and blessing of reaping what we sow from our own plot of earth. We've known firsthand the wonder of burying a few tiny dead things, and being caught by surprise when the first tender shoots poke their green heads into the sunlight.
(As accomplished as I feel conquering the mystery of canning, God alone is master of the greater mystery of growing living things from dead ones.)
And I use the term "conquering" somewhat loosely. It's not so much, "I expertly preserve delicious homegrown food," as it is, "Nobody has died yet." Here's today's setup, which as usual involves heating my canner over two burners so that it will actually reach a boil. Also note the fun that awaits me on that left front burner, where my canning liquid bubbled over as I was cutting and packing beets. Beet juice, vinegar, and sugar create a nice caramelized effect as they bond over medium heat. Delicious, and possibly useful as an adhesive or sealant (see also: alkyd paint).
FYI, I cleverly cropped this photo so as to avoid the stacks of dirty bowls and other dishes lining the sink and counter. Because that's what we do when we self-promote on social-media, right? Leave out all the parts that make us actually look human and normal.
Big thanks to Joel, who spent much of his Saturday helping and occupying the kids while I did this. I just started to write more about that, but it kind of wandered off-topic and could be its own post on headship and submission, so...I'll just let you know that I've got a gem of a husband who constantly serves me and makes my job of helpmeet and homemaker so much easier. It could be he just enjoys the fruit of the labor: the small improvements in organization and aesthetics of our home, and yummy or at least non-fatal things to eat from the kitchen. But I feel blessed to have a thankful, supportive husband who values my work. I know that not all of us are so fortunate, and that marriages have different phases and seasons, so I don't take him for granted.
What I am apparently taking for granted is that I'll have time to pack between the Lord's Day, working eleven hours on Monday, and leaving Tuesday morning. I definitely have time to spare for a blog post. I like to procrastinate and thus give the Lord ample opportunity to "be in the details" and make everything fall into place "in His time". (I know this is what Scripture teaches about Providence, right? My theological and hermeneutical acumen is to be envied.)
Hungry kiddos mean blogging time is over. Have a blessed Lord's Day, and I'll catch you after vacation, with lots of photos, I'm sure!
No comments:
Post a Comment