You know how those makeover TV shows often do a re-visit? I'm thinking Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, Nanny 911, Hoarders, etc. (this may or may not be a Who's Who of my recent Netflix queue, but that's irrelevant).
Consider this the day that we go knocking on my door to find out whether the natural cleaners are living up to the reviews they earned in the first week of use. Just like a TV revisit only with more honesty and less feigned shock (Seriously, you already have half the camera crew inside your house to capture the stunned look on your face. That and you are not wearing sweatpants. Does anybody hang out at home, not expecting company, and not wear sweatpants? Am I tipping my hand too much here?)
With no ado whatsoever:
Laundry detergent - 5/5, love this!
Ingredients: borax, washing soda, ivory soap, oxy clean
Comments: Still takes everything out of my laundry with no need for fabric softener. I might add a few drops of essential oil to a few loads to give it a fragrance, i.e. on sheets and colds. I like that I can use the same detergent on diapers and everything else because it is so basic and gentle.
Special thanks to Pam H. for your comment on stain removal tricks! I just spotted it not long ago on the original natural cleaner post. I can't wait for an opportunity to try them; and with the way things go around here, it shan't be long.
Dish soap - 4.5/5
Ingredients: ivory soap grated and melted with boiling water, borax
Comments: It's still hard to tell where the soap is because it doesn't suds like store-bought dish soap, but it cuts through everything, and fast. A little dab of this soaking in a pot will have it clean in no time.
Dishwasher detergent - 1/5
Ingredients: borax, washing soda, citric acid, kosher salt
Comments: This continued to leave the glasses filmy no matter what proportions and rinse aids we tried. It has been pulled from the rotation and replaced with a store-bought powder detergent. Maybe we'll try a different recipe sometime.
All-Purpose Cleaner: 5/5
Ingredients: vinegar, water, tea tree oil
Comments: Continues to clean like a breeze. I add a sprinkle of baking soda beforehand when cleaning sinks or other grimy spots like the bottom of my kids' bath mat. Cuts through soap scum and hard water deposits pretty well, too.
Glass Cleaner: 5/5
Ingredients: grain alcohol (vodka), vinegar, dab of dish soap, water
Comments: Great on mirrors or any place you'd want a streak-free surface cleaner.
Toilet cleaner: 4.5/5
Ingredients: vinegar, tea tree oil
Comments: Still cleans sparkling clean all over the commode; generous sprinkle of baking soda inside first guarantees a gentle scrubbing power that leaves the bowl crystal clean.
So the dishwasher detergent is the only one we've decided not to use anymore. Overall that's a pretty good success rate! I'm amazed at how effectively I can clean using mainly vinegar and baking soda. If one doesn't do the trick, combine them. Even in laundry - a vinegar soak or rinse does wonders on my dish rags.
I just made my first batch of face wash using grapeseed oil, castile soap, and a few essential oils. I'm excited and slightly nervous to try it out. Also in the queue are a face moisturizer and hair gel. I've read good reviews on all of these recipes but as always, the proof is in the pudding. We'll see how they work!
There you have it. Hope you found this at least somewhat interesting. I felt it was my duty as a responsible blogger to get back to you and let you know at least that the dishwasher detergent was a bomb. Because you have all been struggling to sleep at night wondering how that was working out. I just always hate trying something that I've found online and has great reviews, only to end up wondering if I have remedial instruction-following skills because mine is nothing like what is described or pictured. If you tried the dishwashing detergent but became frustrated with the results, you are not alone.
1995 called; it wants its pop culture reference back. Anyone else spot it?
Have a great Friday, everyone! Check back again soon, I am hoping to keep up with much more frequent posting. Of course, saying that is like the kiss of death but I figure if I put it out there, I might feel some modicum of accountability to follow through.
In fact, I already have my next post planned: The kids modeling their new aprons, courtesy of our dear friends the Kornmans, who graciously hosted us when we passed through Virginia Beach last week. You won't want to miss the cuteness!
No comments:
Post a Comment