According to people who know, 2P is about the size of a large banana this week. About 7 inches long and 11 ounces in weight. Although 2P has grown by leaps and bounds in the past few weeks, he or she has lots of room to wiggle around yet. And we are feeling it! Last night, with his hand just below my belly button, Joel felt kicks for the first time! When 2P has active spurts, he or she seems to be a little more consistent than Mikayla was. I remember sitting and hoping she would kick again so her dadda could feel it. 2P was not nearly so difficult to keep track of, kicking and flipping around probably 5-6 times within a few minutes so that Joel kept sayin, "ooh was that one? I felt that!" It's so much fun to sit and talk about whatever needs talking about, and be able to react together when we feel little 2P do a cartwheel. I love this part of pregnancy!
There are, however, parts of which I am slightly less fond. To this list I would add both fatigue and morning sickness, which have returned with a vengeance this week. The heck? At 21 weeks I should be enjoying my adorable baby bump while still feeling energized and nesty, not moaning and hoping Mikayla will understand why Momma just wants to lie on the couch today. And why no, she may not sit on top of 2P because it will only make things worse.
The Lord is gracious in this season of weakness, however. It seems that at the times when I feel most tired and most sick, my work schedule just providentially opens up, allowing me to rest. This week, for instance, just as I feel slammed with exhaustion and illness, I had only two appointments yesterday and two again today...one of which canceled, allowing me to be home all evening. What a blessing, to both me and my clients, since I doubt the words coming out of my mouth would be very helpful with my brain turned off (and oh, it is turned off when I feel this tired).
So little 2P, you are reminding me of the very beginning this week. Except now I know for sure exactly why I feel the way I do - there is no doubt of your presence as you wallop me in the bladder, tailbone, whatever your little tootsies can reach at the moment. And as you increasingly take up residence out in front of me. One client said just last week, "So, are you having twins or triplets?" I guess that means it's getting obvious? I know I'm not THAT huge though, simply by comparing my weight gain to where I was last time around. I have gained a total of 10 pounds and I'm pretty sure it all goes through the doorway before I do. Joel commented to me maybe a week ago, as I sat at the kitchen table, that if he didn't know I had a belly underneath the table he'd never know I was pregnant. Of course, it is also in his job description to say things like that...and he is experienced now in the art of managing a pregnant wife...but I'd still like to say there is at least a grain of truth to what he said.
And at least he hasn't asked me to scoop ice cream lately...
Tomorrow: Anatomy/gender ultrasound!! Tune in tomorrow for some (Lord and baby-willing) exciting news!

No comments:
Post a Comment