A "Little P" in the Pod

If you've read this far on the page, then you know that we're eagerly awaiting the arrival of our "Little P," as I have affectionately been calling our little one. How appropriate, then, that as of this inaugural post our tiny miracle is just about the size of a single pea. (Note, however, that the nickname "Little P" is not short for pea. Explanation to follow in a special post by Joel!)


Welcome to the world, tiny one! It's hard to believe that you've been in existence for almost a month now. Few people know about you - though all of the most important ones, your grandparents, your aunts and uncles, and especially your daddy and I, have already begun to pray for you. In fact, your daddy and I have been praying for you since long before you were conceived. Your very life is a testimony to the fact that the Lord answers the prayers of His children and is the giver of all good things. Our heavenly Father gives and takes away, and in this season He has graciously chosen to give. Your daddy and I are the grateful, humble recipients of the most precious gift imaginable.

You.

I know you don't yet understand who this Lord is, or this heavenly Father of whom I speak. But He knows you, has known you since before I ever dreamed of you. Right this very moment He is knitting you together inside of me, in fearful, wonderful ways I cannot fathom. In His perfect wisdom, He has been preparing your daddy and me to be your parents for awhile now. How we have prayed for you! How we have waited, and longed to hold you in our arms. Know that you, precious one, are so loved and desired before your first heartbeat, long before your first breath in this world.

What a daunting task lies ahead. I must keep reminding myself that waiting for you to grow, and welcoming you at long last into the world, are but the first baby steps of a life-changing journey. You and I will learn together, tiny one, with your wonderful daddy to lead and guide us, what it means to inherit the covenant blessings of our faithful God and Savior. I have a feeling that no matter how much I think I know, your little life will be such a marvel and such a mystery as to leave me wondering at God's unsearchable ways. Praise Him for this!

My heart is so full of thoughts and questions, but the one that is foremost right now is this: I trust the Lord with your life. This is not the first time I have said this, and surely will not be the last. Each day of your life is carefully appointed, hemmed in behind and before by the goodness and gentle mercy of our heavenly Father. Your daddy and I thank Him each day that His hand is upon you inside my womb, and acknowledge that you belong fully and ultimately to Him. What a safe place for you to be - not merely being formed within me by some primordial biological process, but securely resting in the palm of Him who created all things and is creating you, yes you, for His glory.

Soli deo gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment