Lessons From the Womb

Tiny one, I marvel that your fragile life is so dependent upon my own. Everything that I eat and drink is nourishment for you. Each beat of my heart is your lifeblood. You squirm and move in your warm, secure little home, completely unaware that your life is sustained by someone much larger than yourself. Right now you are completely passive and reliant. You have no choice in anything, yet because you are loved, you are entirely safe. In fact, everything that I do for the next eight months will be for your benefit.

What a beautiful picture of the relationship between mother and child. I can't help but reflect on the parallels between this and the relationship between our Heavenly Father and His child. How completely and utterly dependent my life is upon Him. I move about in this life, but ultimately I am totally hemmed in by His love, held in the palm of His hand [Psalm 139]. Just as you rely on the beating of my heart and nourishment from my body, so every word that proceeds from His mouth is the bread of my life, and His Spirit is the breath that fills my lungs. In Him, I live and move and have my being [Acts 17:28]. Apart from Him, I can do nothing [John 15:5]. And although God has ordained whatsoever shall come to pass, although He alone is sovereign over my life and my future, I know that I am safe in Him. He alone is worthy of my trust. He has set my foot upon a rock, making my steps secure [Psalm 40:2].

One day, I will teach you about our Heavenly Father. But today, tiny one, you are teaching me.

No comments:

Post a Comment