An Opening Party, Guest List: You

So, I am officially an old person. Mr. UPS heaved a giant Amazon box into our front entryway, and I proceeded to open it while taking multiple photos and uttering phrases like "Oh my stars!!" No really, I used those exact words. Out loud. My kids were gracious enough not to notice. Possibly because they were able to do THIS:


What was the gift? You mean besides hours of free entertainment for my kids via packing themselves into a giant box and wearing a big blue bag around the house?

You guys.



Possibly the best house-warming gift ever. At least that I can remember, but I guess that isn't saying much since my brains leak out through my kids these days. Shout out, Aunt Patti and "hey you!" (Aunt Pam. What, you said I could call you that!)

The kids say thank-you too:



I seriously typed this to the sound of Mikayla, from inside the box, begging her brother, "Pack me up!! Pack me up now pleeeease!" But of course he was too busy bumping into things in his new blue world. Oh and don't think I didn't notice that we now have TWO boxes and one giant blue sack for packing up when we move in a few weeks. Jackpot all the way around.

And because I find the ruckus so hilarious when I tell the kids to say cheese:


So thank you to my dear Aunts, and we will think of you often when we cook, well, anything in our new home! It was all I could do not to pull every single piece out of the box to ooh and aah over it all, but I realized that I will never get it all packed back in there quite the same way it is now. But in three weeks, believe you me, that stainless steel will get some serious lovin'.

Edited to add: The reason this is such an amazing and much-needed housewarming gift is because I packed up my nine-year-old non-stick cookware and gave it to my sister-in-law, as she is moving out of the house the week before we do. (Yes, it's about to get very quiet at my in-laws' house. I imagine crickets chirping and voices echoing.) The set was about shot anyway, but Amy said it would make a great starter set for her as she gets on her feet. So, we are (were!) in need of cookware in order to eat anything other than Easy Mac and Doritos which, even though they were my favorite in college, the Mom part of me has developed something of a culinary conscience regarding powdered food. Scrambled egges? You got it. Spaghetti and meatballs? Coming right up. FROM SCRATCH. Good heavens I can't wait! 

(See? Old person.)

No comments:

Post a Comment