So it turns out that having three kids under four years old keeps you kind of busy, especially during the first six weeks. Opening up a blog post at this point feels a bit like stepping tentatively into the creepy old house that's been abandoned for ten years. Cobwebs, creaky floors, and wondering if there's anyone still in here.
HELLO?? Hello....hello....
Great. Well, I just won't check out my Google analytics for awhile as you all look at each other wondering what that noise was from this decrepit corner of the internets.
Obviously I'm going to open with a Pinterest-style half-truth. This morning, I had peanut butter banana granola bars in the oven before 9:00 a.m. If I stopped there, you would be terribly impressed that I had gotten the baby back to sleep by 8:30 and was upstairs with coherent thoughts and even a GOAL. The kids stood on chairs to help add and mix ingredients, it was all very HGTV of me. Shoot, I could even count it as homeschool time.
I, however, am not one to do polished up half-truths. In addition to telling you that I added wheat bran, coconut, and chopped walnuts to my super healthy homemade treats, I'd like to also disclose that I sent my three year old to take care of the baby, who started screaming as I was spreading my granola bars into a perfectly even, aesthetically-pleasing layer in a skillfully parchment paper-lined pan. When that didn't work, the two year old took a turn offering the Nuk.
Also, my children at some point lost interest in stirring and began disagreeing loudly over possession of the new talking hamster toy Isaac received yesterday.
And when I returned to the living room after popping the granola bars into the oven, Mikayla was playing with little dogs and making them cower in their house, hiding from the big voice in the sky. I thought she was recreating Horton Hears a Who, which we watched recently, until she proceeded to inform me that I am the big scary voice of the mean monster coming from the sky. She either missed some significant plot points, or this is a sad commentary on my parenting style of late.
All that to say, I'm emerging from the newborn fog and starting to do actual things and have sequential thoughts. I hope to start sharing some of them with you, and record for my own sake some of the fun, exciting things that are going on at our house.
Birth story coming soon - only six weeks after the fact. Every time I sit down to work on it, my eyelids suddenly become so heavy...weird that the thought of labor and delivery makes me tired, eh? Spoiler: we had a really, really cute baby.
And a picture to reward all your patience and helping me dust off the blog:
I love this photo because nobody is crying, nobody is hitting or kicking, and nobody is even squashing the baby's head. We're happy! We love each other! Quick, take a picture! (They really are crazy about each other; even Oliver is starting to enjoy when his siblings get in his face to talk to him and give kisses.)
Totally unrelated, but I just deleted literally 105 photos from my phone courtesy of my youngest shutterbug (thanks, Isaac). There's something amusing about having seven identical screen shots of "iPhone is disabled, try again in 5 minutes". He knows how to take pictures and screen shots (and prevent me from surfing Facebook for a spell) but at least he can't unlock my phone.
And if you're interested, the granola bar recipe:
http://thechicbrulee.com/2012/02/07/the-best-homemade-granola-bars-ever/
No comments:
Post a Comment