Telling Mikayla About the Ultrasound

We have our first ultrasound scheduled for Monday, and I got the reminder call this morning at breakfast. As I hung up, Mikayla naturally asked who I was talking to.

So I told her, "On Monday, we are all going to the doctor's office, and he will take a picture-"

And here I suddenly became quite choked with sentiment, as I found myself talking to my firstborn about my nextborn.

"-of our new baby!"

She has no idea what this means yet. No sense of how special it will be to see that little black and white blob on the screen, this tiny life inside Mommy's belly. Or even that it is a life. I don't know if she'll ever remember getting this first glimpse of her little sibling. I know Isaac won't. But it sure was emotional for me to speak of it to my children.

As I squeezed the words out past the lump of emotion in my throat, Mikayla stared at me and promptly choked on her apple. I'm sure it was because she, too, felt overwhelmed at the unexpected swell of excitement and tenderness in her heart. (Don't worry, she was fine.)

Isaac, for his part, didn't miss a beat mashing his banana into his mouth. He'll figure it out eventually, in a few months when there's no room for him on my lap.




No comments:

Post a Comment