Isaac's 6 Month Update

Ok first, and possibly more importantly, why did Blogger change? For some reason I can't log in to my blog FROM my blog view anymore. I used to be able to click my own bookmark, then click once more to write a new post, sign in, change the layout, etc. Obviously Blogger thinks I have nothing better to do than click three times and type a password and maybe even update my bookmark toolbar. Blogger is wrong.

What? You're here because you want to know what's up with the sweetest, most handsome little six-month-old guy in the world? I can help you with that.

Pediatrician appointments have become just SO much fun, now that Isaac can roll off of the table and Mikayla can turn the lights off and open the door. We take crackers, and pray that Isaac's exam will take less than seven minutes, which is approximately how long a container of crackers will hold my daughter's attention. Don't worry, she'll go back to it after she explores all the drawers and licks the doctor's special tools.

Today, Isaac weighed in at 15 lb 8 oz, which is only a half ounce more than he weighed at his last vaccination visit a month ago. Wha' happened? Turns out my plan of nursing five times daily, and following two of those feedings with some cereal or a fruit or veggie is SUBPAR. He needs to eat every two hours, alternating nursing with real food so that he is hungrier for the spoon. Because I have nothing better to do with my day than pipe food into my son and hope he naps during the twenty minutes when he's not swallowing or pooping.

Sorry, I am easily upset by suggested changes to my routine. Apparently.

As I was saying: Isaac weighed 15 lb 8 oz, placing him at the 29th percentile. He was 26 inches long, about average (I don't know how they think wrestling his heel to a random number on the measuring tape constitutes an accurate length measurement but hey I'm not a nurse). His head is average too, about forty something (42?) centimeters. I used to remember way more details of Mikayla's visits, so my fuzzy memory now must indicate exhaustion or that she is my favorite child. Or that I am busy rescuing the doctor's flashy scope-light thing from her clutches the whole time. I did have an allergic reaction to narcotic medication over the past few days, though, so maybe that is part of it too?

Isaac does SO many things, and has fun with it all. He rolls quickly and easily in any direction, often to angle for a better view of his big sister.  He holds his head and shoulders way up off the floor, and you can tell he wants to crawl but usually just succeeds at pushing himself backward. I guess he gets better traction with his hands than with his toes, just yet. He practically stands up in his exersaucer, just relying on the balance it gives him, but his legs are strong! Mikayla often busily shows him all the toys on his exersaucer, concerned that he may have forgotten since yesterday, pausing only to give him the occasional hearty thump on the back (playing gives you the burps, obv).

And this little boy has the absolute sweetest smile you ever saw! He opens his mouth in this gigantic grin, and between the dimples and the eye lashes you could just pour him over your pancakes in the morning. Sometimes he flashes his smile for his momma or dadda, but the greatest megawattage is reserved for Mikayla. Oh my heavens. He thinks she is really something! I have heard lots of mommas talk about how their babies adore their older siblings, but seeing it firsthand just blows me away. And Mikayla feels just the same way about him - he is the one person in this world who is always guaranteed a giant-pucker kiss from her. She hugs him, she kisses him, and she burps him, all the while explaining to you just what she is doing. She helps with his diapers, except she still thinks that they belong over his face. At least he is starting to really get a kick out of the big reveal, when she yanks the diaper away and says "Peek!" (or "boo!" depending on the day).

Isaac is such a big boy. He now has his own sippy cup that he is just learning to drink water from, and he sits in his "'eat" (seat, a.k.a. high chair) to "eat", according to Mikayla. He enjoys avocados, bananas, and cereal, and we are about to ramp up his food intake per the doctor's orders. I expect that peas, pears, carrots, sweet potatoes will make an appearance soon. And red meat, which remains a strongly encouraged first food, and which I still think is weird. We'll see how it goes. When Isaac eats, Mikayla requires an empty bowl and spoon so that she can show Isaac how it's done, either by demonstrating fake practice-bites or jamming the empty spoon into his mouth. We are still working on the whole "gentle" concept, and I think we're struggling against some selective attention on that one.

We hope to get some pictures up soon with Isaac's bear, so you can all see how he's growing. I bet he'll be wrestling it and rolling all over the place, so do your best to spot him amidst the blur of action. Anything I missed in this here update? Anything you've been wondering? Let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment