Some moms use Skittles and M&M's. Here on the Pearce homestead, we apparently potty train using the promise of White Tea & Lily. Maybe next we'll reward eating all her dinner with getting to load the dishwasher.
This afternoon, the kids and I were hanging out in the playroom (this is where we go when momma needs to get some work done on the laptop). Suddenly Mikayla reappeared from the blue bathroom with a can of air freshener, with all the curiosity and excitement of a puppy who got into the shoe closet. Since I am all about sharing fascinating new experiences with my kids (especially ones that cost nothing and require only enough energy to push a button with my finger), I sprayed it a few times for her learning enjoyment.
Mikayla was delighted! She kept asking for "more! more!" Well, our playroom can only take so much aerosolized fragrance before the spray-garden starts to gag the baby. Since air freshener usually comes after potty time (logical, right?), I told Mikayla that she could spray more air freshener after she put something in the potty. It's been awhile since her first potty success, so I figured this would buy some time and at least allow the air to clear a bit.
Wrong, momma....challenge accepted!
My little girl marched right into the bathroom and declared, "Potty! Off!" as she tugged at her shorts. She sat her little bottom on her potty and asked to read a book. We had all of two pages of "Red Fish, Blue Fish" under our belts when I noticed something wet on her legs. Investigating further, I discovered that she must have used the potty nigh immediately after sitting down.
She totally just peed on command.
This corner of our house smells like a lily garden next to a perfume counter, but I think it's pretty cool that Mikayla decided to go, and then she went! Plus, at least for the time being, I get to avoid all the "food as reward?!" angst that goes along with using sweets. (Other people have that, right?)
For myself, I am thankful for this reminder to look at the little things through the eyes of a child. A can that sprays a new smell into the air? How cool is that?! Definitely something to giggle and clap about, if it means delighting with my little girl.
SDG!
No comments:
Post a Comment