Isaac's Birth Story: Part 2


(Part 1 is here if you need to start at the beginning)

It was a gorgeous morning. The sun was just risen, the sky clear as we drove. Joel asked me how fast I wanted him to drive. I responded with something like, don’t be dangerous, but get there. We made great highway time – Joel said he averaged about 85 mph – except when we got stuck behind a car poking along in the passing lane. I may have uttered an expletive at one point, but Joel said he was willing to overlook it because, you know, labor. I held onto the handle above my car door to help steady me as we drove, and managed to send a text or two. I think I texted my sister something like, “This is the baby text! We’re on our way to the birth center!” Joel initiated a family phone tree by calling our sister in law, Becca, to let her know it was all going down.

As with the last time we made this drive in labor, my contractions spaced out a bit on the ride but didn’t stop. Notably, if anyone is familiar with the intersection at “the ladder store” in Ephrata, I had a particularly hard contraction just as Joel took that right-hand turn onto 322 none too gently. Yowsa! Overall though, the spacing of contractions meant I could really enjoy the beauty of the morning and contemplate, to some degree, the fact that we would be meeting our son that day. I continued to manage contractions with relative ease. The relaxation was just coming so naturally to me that morning!

We arrived at the birth center at 8:05 a.m. and were welcomed by Jen, the same midwife who delivered Mikayla. She had the birth tub set up and partially filled with water. A quick check revealed that I was already 7-8 centimeters dilated and fully effaced (!!). I took a bathroom break, undressed, and hopped (well…figuratively) into the birth tub to labor. At this point, labor really….all but stopped. Jen assured me that this was normal when transitioning to a new location, and that I was definitely in labor, and it would pick up again soon. We hung out and talked, joked, relaxed for about half an hour with me in the tub. I may have had a contraction or two during that time, but it was really low-key and enjoyable at that point. I remember Jen telling the nurse that we would be needing her almost for sure within the next three hours, and I remembered being surprised and SO happy that she thought it would go that quickly!

Around 8:30, things began to pick up. With each contraction, Joel rubbed my shoulders and back, and poured warm water from the tub over my belly with a pitcher. He also began to breathe with me through each contraction. At times, I used a focal point of one of the plugs in the inflatable birth tub, and at other times I closed my eyes to concentrate. Different from my first labor, I also tried to keep my arms and hands totally relaxed. With Mikayla, I squeezed Joel’s hands through the really intense contractions. This time around, keeping my arms relaxed was really difficult but I think paid off in helping to manage the pain more successfully and allowing the contractions to pass more peacefully. I know it sounds weird, but it continued to be a peaceful labor even as contractions ramped way up and even double-peaked several times.
Jen captured the (external) serenity of Joel helping me through a contraction.

Joel says it was probably around 9:00 a.m. that I first said I might be ready to push soon. He also says his internal reaction, which he did not voice, was “Already?!? Shouldn’t we wait?” I wasn’t having a true urge, but could tell the baby was getting low, and the intensity from the contractions was getting super low as well. With the next few contractions, it didn’t feel as low or intense, so I waited, but my midwife gave me her blessing to push when I felt like it. At this point, my water had not broken, in case you were wondering.

Now, with Mikayla, I believe I delayed pushing significantly because I wasn’t sure when it was time to try. I think my labor with her could have been at least an hour or two shorter, and that much of what I considered to be “transition” was in fact me resisting my body’s urge to push. So I was determined to be very tuned into my body this time, and not to resist when I felt that same feeling.

But I was willing to be patient. I started to push once or twice with contractions and felt that it wasn’t right just yet, that my body wasn’t quite working with me. So I relaxed and waited to have the feeling again. It was just after 9:30 that I really started to feel that it was time – those low, incredibly intense contractions that felt like the baby was ready to come out. I was also feeling like I couldn’t take much more intensity, so that let me know that I must be just about there!

At this point, I told Jen again that I was really feeling like I should push. She checked me and said there was just a small edge of my cervix in the way, but that she would help while I pushed to let the baby’s head pass through. She also asked if I’d like her to break my water. I agreed to the amniotomy, to relieve some pressure and help the pushing to go perhaps a bit more easily and quickly. She broke my water and reported that it was clear, no meconium, and so I was free to have this baby in the tub! I had to deliver Mikayla out of the water due to meconium staining, so I was excited to try this time in the water. (Read: Praise the Lord, I wouldn’t have to throw a leg over the side of the birth tub to get out in the middle of pushing.)

Water broken and with Jen helping, I pushed hard through the next several contractions. Jen was so encouraging, telling me that I was pushing perfectly, and having me shift slightly to improve the angle for the baby. He must have appreciated that, because then he came fast! It was incredibly intense for me, feeling him descend, and feeling as though I must continue to push to get this baby out or I would, I don’t know, die or something. He crowned within a few minutes, and I only allowed him to hang out long enough for me to take a deep breath and push again.

At 9:47, after five hours of labor and just eleven minutes of pushing, Isaac Victor Pearce was born in the warm water of the birth tub, and was in my arms within moments. It took some wrangling, but Jen helped deliver his broad shoulders while I pushed one more time. While Joel wasn’t able to catch him, he said he loved being behind me while Isaac was born. He was able to see Isaac wiggle in my belly just before he emerged, and witnessed the magic moment of Isaac’s head and shoulders appearing in the water below me. I was overwhelmed with emotion as Jen placed Isaac in my arms. He was quiet and peaceful, eyes closed as he moved and tested his new-found freedom. I held him close to my chest and whispered (cried? proclaimed?), “My baby boy, my sweet boy. I’m so glad you’re here!”

The most marked part of the experience for me was sweet relief at having Isaac delivered. I’m sure this was because of the sheer speed and intensity of labor and birth, but getting him out of me and into the water felt so. good. And then I marveled that it was over already! The feeling of relief continued as the midwife and Joel helped me out of the tub and onto the bed to deliver the placenta. Joel got a sweet picture of the placenta for a good friend who had expressed curiosity (yes, really). He also cut the cord, and proudly named his son.

The post-delivery process continued smoothly, and Jen reported that I had sustained no tearing or injury despite the velocity of the birth. (Another perk of laboring in the water, I’m sure!) Isaac settled in to nurse, and Jen took some first family photos. She also captured some great shots during labor, and immediately after delivery. I’m not sure how; she must have actually been in two places at once, as far as I can figure. But we are so thankful for her and our nurse, Bev, for helping us to have a second fantastic birth-center experience. We were heading out by 1:30 p.m., planning to stop by our pediatrician’s office for a quick check on the way home (long story, but everything is completely fine with Isaac).

God is so good to us. We are thankful that Isaac arrived safely, and feel so blessed at how smoothly and quickly the labor process went. Soli deo Gloria!

1 comment: