Heartbeats and Flutter Kicks

Little 2P, you must be growing up! I listened to your heartbeat last night, and sweetie you were putting on a show. Usually when I use our borrowed doppler to listen to you, I get the swish, swish that lets me know you are nearby, and I am hearing the pulse of your blood flow. But last night, you must have been front and center, pushing out toward the front of my belly to say hello! From within a few seconds of placing the doppler against my skin, I heard a strong, loud pounding that told me I had found your very heartbeat. It was so loud that your dadda could hear it from a foot or two away, while the earphones were snug in my ears! I just kept listening to that bam, bam, bam and felt so grateful that you must be a healthy, strong baby already. I couldn't take my ears off you!

I've felt a few flutters over the past few weeks that I think are you, too. Particularly in the last several days, you have popped and kicked. Often it happens so fast that I wonder whether I really felt anything, and I press my hand to my belly to see if I can feel you again. What a tease you are, because I never feel you twice in a row :). But I know you're in there, making your little presence known.

Everyone at work knows about you now. I told them last week at our staff meeting. They are so excited! I was a little worried about what they would think of me taking another maternity leave so close to the first, but all they could say was how fun it will be to have you and Mikayla so close in age :). And my clients have been excited to learn about you too. What evidence that regardless of our differences or our struggles, we all view a new life as a precious gift from the Lord. Excitement over a new baby is something that seems to draw us all together, from clients in my office to strangers at the grocery store. It is such a blessing to have so many rejoicing with us over your life, sweet 2P.

In a few weeks, Lord willing, we should be able to have an ultrasound that tells us whether you are a little brother or sister. I can't wait to begin calling you by name!

SDG

No comments:

Post a Comment