The Flip Switched

This is the story of a transformation that defies all logic and understanding. An answer to prayer, if ever there were one.

The back story is that this pregnancy has been a little rough for me. I have felt sicker more often (I actually lost rather than gained weight in the first trimester, though I am now back to pre-pregnancy weight), and the fatigue has just been killer. Some of this is due to the fact that I'm now starting my days at 7:00 a.m. whether I feel ready to or not...although thinking back, I was working full time through my first trimester with Mikayla so I was certainly getting up early then as well. So maybe this pregnancy really is worse.

ANYWAY.

All this to say I have been slacking horribly on things like laundry, dishes, menu planning, paperwork at work. Anything that has not been mandatory for paycheck or basic survival has gone out the window for at least the past month. Our frequent travels have not helped me stay up to speed on any of this, either.

Fast forward (or rewind or whatever) to this past Tuesday when for some reason, I looked around and realized...HOLY BANANAS, there is so much to do and so little time to do it! I was anticipating flying to New Hampshire for a wedding weekend, not to mention working the equivalent of several full days this week, and wondering how in the world the clothes are going to get clean and the notes are going to get written and the groceries are going to get boughten. The icing on the cake was Mikayla choosing to just, you know, be NEEDY all day. Not cranky, per se, but she certainly didn't want momma doing anything that didn't involve kisses and giggles and food (ok, mainly food).

No wait, the ACTUAL icing on the cake was that I'm freaking pregnant and, as I told Joel recently, I am tired IN MY LIFE. It all came together in a perfect storm of hormones and overwhelmedness and holy bananas I might need to cancel work today and just find a cave to cry in. (Mikayla is into bananas right now.)

My solution? Make a list! And create a calendar! I spent my last half hour before work (I couldn't come up with a satisfactory way to say to clients, "I can't see you today because I am freaking out".) on Google calendars actually scheduling all my household chores (daily, weekly, and bi-weekly with repeating occurrences, but no alarms because seriously. That's just ridiculous.)(Unlike putting your chores on the calendar, that is normal.) I then calendared the projects that I need to finish in the near future. These included catching up outpatient notes, catching up inpatient notes, organizing baby clothes, moving the guest bed into the attic, and cleaning out our hallway to make room for a bassinet.

And by "near future" I mean "the next six months" but it all FELT urgent, I promise. And I now have plans to have all this accomplished in the next ten days. Mostly in the next four days, but I decided to relax the guest bed thing because I'll probably need Joel's help and I don't want him to think I'm crazy. Like the time when I was pregnant and made him help me rearrange the nursery AGAIN because I thought it would work better. This is very, very similar to that, actually.

So, here I sit on Thursday with my outpatient notes all caught up, inpatient notes in a very good place, laundry almost finished, litter tidied (yes that's a bi-weekly chore now; Joel is the scooper but I am the tidier), office filing from the last month finished, and all phone calls returned. And tomorrow I am scheduled to dust, vacuumm, sweep, mop, and grocery shop. And I am excited about it.

I told Joel that I don't even recognize myself today. And then I realized...you know what today is?

SECOND. BLESSED. TRIMESTER.

Yesterday I officially hit 13 weeks. It's like a switch flipped and I AM BACK, BABY. Or at least I have really good intentions; I will let you know how tomorrow goes!

So first trimester went out with a bang (much as it entered, which I will detail for you in that post I promised about Mikayla's Very Interrupted Nap), but second trimester has arrived in all its glory. Thank you, dear heavenly Father, for this great mercy. Please could I stay in the second trimester all the way until delivery?

SDG!

No comments:

Post a Comment