The Heat Has Melted My Coherence (or, Too Many Pop Culture References)

It has been forever since I wrote a "just because" post. But tonight I find myself with a rare several hours to myself while baby sleeps and hubby wraps things up at the chicken shack (his term, not mine). After ending a really dumb movie about twenty minutes before it ended (it was supposed to be scary, but in actuality was quite predictable and I thought I'd save myself some minutes of boredom/suspense), I stuck my foot in a banana peel that was lying on the bed and decided to blog. None of these events is quite related, but I got a kick out of the random juxtaposition. Did you?

So here we are, fair reader, with a few minutes all to ourselves before I turn in for the night. Laundry is folded, the ironing board tucked away, the dishes all safely in their cupboards. You'd think it was a Saturday (and, also, not a heat index of 19,000 degrees) from the productivity I've displayed this evening. Speaking of the heat, you want to know what it made me do today?

This:


(Forgive the shampoo bottle in the background; it's easier to see my hair with the shower curtain open, but it means you get to see some of the little sundries of life.)

This strange new lack of hair? I like it. I am even now leaning back against a pillow with nary a worry, not even a thought that I might be smushing a curl. Poor Mikayla doesn't know what to do with herself now that she can't tangle her fist in momma's flowing tresses while she nurses, but I? I am ok with that because: CONVENIENCE. It takes five minutes from my head in the bathtub to walking (running frazzledly) out the door. Or grabbing a screaming baby/changing a diaper/juggling flaming knives. Moms of the world, I understand you.

Not that this is a mom haircut. This is the sassy of Shannyn Sossamon meets the pixie-chic of Emma Watson. Meets, you know, a whole new level of bedhead in the morning. Which is why it's so fantastic that Joel's first glimpse of the new 'do will be tomorrow morning as we awaken to a fresh new day of Mikayla wondering where breakfast is because seriously child, have I not fed you every morning for your entire life and yet you persist in acting like this might be the day we leave you in the crib forever?

I LOVE my daughter. She is actually full of sparkle and laughter first thing in the morning. But while she is amazing at sleeping alllll the way through the night, the downside of ten hours between feedings is that breakfast tends have a certain...urgency to it. Hey, I don't have a problem with it. It is so sweet watching her rub the sleep out of her eyes until she realizes DADDA!! MOMMA!! You are here this morning, too!! Then there is a split-second change while her tummy connects with her brain and STARVATION. But it is really not too shabby to start each day feeling utterly (udderly? I'm hilarious.) needed, and then as soon as she's done eating we get to snuggle and exchange smooches and giggles until one of us decides oh right, diaper change.

Hmm. Wow. Stream of consciousness much? Chicken shack --> banana peel --> hair --> BABY. It's like playing Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, only better because everything is better when Chick Fil A and babies are involved.

Well, it is hot and past my bedtime, and I don't see this post suddenly becoming a whole lot more organized or interesting, so I hope you enjoyed my haircut and...

Go Pirates!

sdg

1 comment:

  1. Sad to say the Bucs dropped one to the Cards last night, but it was another seemingly sold out game with lots of noise and lots of fun. We survived the brutal heat.

    ReplyDelete