At a week shy of 14 months, I think it's high time to post a bit more about what Isaac's been up to lately!
On April 13, Isaac took his first few steps to his Aunt Amy. He has since repeated this many times, letting go of one support to take a few steps to his momma, dadda, or the other couch. We've caught him standing up from the ground, rather than pulling himself up, on a few occasions. And he can stand by himself with no support, until he realizes that's what he's doing, and lowers himself onto his bum. The advantage is that this little boy has no fear, and is very interested in EVERYTHING, so he will probably be the kid who starts walking without quite realizing it. I have a feeling he'll be doing laps around the house in the next week or two!
Isaac has also recently (last Wednesday) decided to eat finger foods. His favorite is peanut butter and jelly sandwich (open-faced, cut into bite sized pieces). He has also eaten spaghetti, peas, broccoli, chicken nugget, and a few other things I'm forgetting. It's hit or miss, though. How does Isaac decide whether to eat something with his fingers? His decision tree:
1. Touch food. Is it too slippery to pick up?
Yes --> go to question #2 (example: banana)
No --> go to question #2 (example: everything else)
2. Can I smash it?
Yes --> smash with thumb until pulverized. Reject food because it is pulverized. (example: peas, any legume)
No --> attempt to smash with thumb, until it shoots across the tray. (example: melon) If it doesn't fly onto the floor, pick up and throw onto floor. (example: everything else)
3. Does it taste good? (accidentally put food in mouth to discover flavor, or be force-fed by momma)
Yes --> shovel remainder of food into mouth (example: PB&J, chicken nuggets, hot dog, broccoli)
No --> pick up and throw onto floor (example: everything else)
4. Am I full?
Yes --> pick up remaining food and throw onto floor; consider making baby sign for "all done"
No --> keep shoveling
He has been talking more and more, mimicking words and sounds all the time. He says momma, dadda, pop pop (papa), banana, uh oh, and the occasional "amen" or "all done" (or something similar). I think he's also said "ball". He knows and uses baby signs for "please" and "all done". He waves hello and goodbye, blows kisses, and gives the sweetest hugs and kisses you ever saw. He bats his long lashes at all the young ladies, but most especially at his momma. And he is a SNUGGLER. My word. If he is the least bit tired or not feeling well, his left pointer finger goes into his mouth and his head nuzzles down onto your shoulder.
Isaac delights in bath time with his big sister. They laugh and squeal together often, usually because they have gotten into some game of peek a boo or hide the toy. He wears a size 4 shoe and size 12 month or 12-18 month clothing. Socks are a lost cause. Toilet paper rolls and toilet water continue to be coveted items, but he responds well to "no touch". I rarely even have to smack his hand. He LOVES to open and close drawers, and empty and refill their contents. I let him do this unless it happens to be the drawer holding Joel's razor.
He usually takes two naps: one around 10-10:30 in the morning, and another around 3:30. That second nap has been hit or miss for the past month or so, depending on how long his first nap was. Also, I think he's teething right now. He's had six teeth for the longest time but has been super cranky lately. I do wonder, though, if it is just a developmental thing because this was the age Mikayla was when she started with her first tantrums. He is also the same age Mikayla was when Isaac was born. Does that seem crazy to anyone else?
Little brother is waking up so I'll cut this short. I think I hit the highlights!
No comments:
Post a Comment