Today has been an incredible, red-letter day at our house. Mikayla went without pants in an intense potty-training regimen. Aside from not peeing all morning, which made the "training" process a bit underwhelming to begin with, it's been a lot of fun working with her on this. She totally gets the feeling of having to go potty, and the only miss was when the #2 came up on her a bit quickly (I think we can all relate, yes?) and there was a trail of two small poops clearly demarcating her path from the table in to her potty. But she got the concept, and and assured me she would make it to the potty next time. I choose trust over skepticism because I don't have enough ice cream in the freezer to help me through much more poop on the floor. Amazingly, she had no peeing accidents aside from a small false start in her big-girl panties, which she insisted on wearing during her nap. She woke up dry from said nap, but she happens to be a slow waker-upper like her Momma and about fifteen minutes later she wet the panties a bit. It did remind her, thankfully, to dash for the potty, and she finished a tiny bit there. As long as she was bare-bottomed, though, she remembered every time to run to the potty!
Isaac is just along for the ride. He kind of wanders around and gets into general mischief while I focus on teaching Mikayla the sit/wipe/flush/wash/cookie/sticker routine. At one point I suspect he was licking the toilet bowl (from the outside...totally not as bad as you were thinking, right?).
Pro tip: If she stops to put toys away as she trots to the bathroom, or adjusts the angle of the potty, she does not, in fact, need to make a deposit. But if she waddles with her legs together as tightly as possible, we are in for a cookie and a sticker! I know you were wondering.
Also, in a second liberated/insane moment, I offered to move the toddler bed into her room. At first, Mikayla thought Khloe would still need it, but when I explained that Khloe was all done with it, she embraced the idea wholeheartedly! She played in her new bed, pulling the covers up over her little bare bottom (still potty training!) and pretending to sleep and wake up. Momma even snuggled in there with her for a few minutes. Mikayla decided it would be a great idea to put her crib away in Isaac’s closet, so she exuberantly helped Momma, again with the “stewstiver”, take the crib apart and carry it piece by piece into the closet. Is it me, or did this girl just grow up right before my eyes?
So for the first time in two years, there are no diapers and no crib in my sweet girl's bedroom. Is she ready for all this transition at once, or is Momma just slightly unhinged from the ammonia fumes wafting out of the diaper pail? Only time will tell. As of now, the plan is for Mikayla to sleep in her big girl bed without a diaper. Ask me again in twelve hours how I feel about that idea.
As I type, Mikayla is marching in place on top of her potty/stool because she just pretended to go peepee in the potty again and is ...oh great, she pulled out a wipe and is experimenting with wiping her own hiney while standing on the stool. I should probably go supervise. Whatever crayons Isaac is eating will just have to be mourned another day. Though I suspect he is pleasantly full from all the crackers Mikayla just shared with him a few minutes ago while I wrote this post. You wonder why I don't blog more frequently!
No comments:
Post a Comment