Mikayla Turned 2!!

Wow, I haven't blogged since the apple sauce? I know things have been busy around here, but that seems ridiculous. If I may be such a wuss as to blame teething and holidays and a two-year birthday for my writing sabbatical - please don't judge me. Today, I am blogging only because we hit said two-year mark and there are milestones and updates to be memorialized. Also, Isaac is in the worst, most clingy mood ever and discovered he can climb up the stairs. This might be just a teensy bit of avoidance as a coping strategy, as my kids are watching Care Bears and I find myself with some actual space to breathe and recuperate from my gig this morning as a human jungle gym and baby wrangler.

More importantly than all my excuses, though, happy 2nd birthday, Mikayla! If you're on Facebook, you've seen most of these, but I like to formalize events into an actual blog post for posterity.

 Mikayla baked tuptakes for her birthday. What color? Pink, pink, pink, of course!!



When she woke up on her birthday, I entered her room singing "Happy Birthday!" and gave her the sparkly birthday headband she had picked out at Target. Naturally, she wore it for breakfast.


When Momma got home from Young Ladies' Bible Study, we made pizzas for lunch, one of Mikayla's all-time favorite foods. Mikayla looooves to help me in the kitchen these days. She usually wears her apron, and she always stands on the ladder. I can't tell you how often she runs into the kitchen saying, "Help momma! Ladder! Aprons!" and proceeds to try to drag the ladder to the counter, and forces me to put on my blue apron while she wears the little half-apron up under her armpits. She is so proud of her work, too!




We made two pizzas, one pepperoni and one white chicken and spinach. Apparently, my white chicken and spinach pizza didn't live up to the standards set by our local Dominos. Usually she devours it, but this time she stuck to pepperoni. You can't win them all, eh?


And for dessert, of course, the pink cupcake. I think Joel got video of the candles and singing, but here is our big girl with her birthday treat.


We followed up the birthday celebration with a visit to a new doctor for Mikayla's two-year checkup. Our old doctor was just too far away for me to load up both kids and get over there for every checkup and illness. We saw Robin at our new family doc's office, and she confirmed that Mikayla is one tall girl! She was 36" tall, and weighed in at about 29 pounds. Robin said she would have guessed Mikayla is 3 or 3 1/2 based on her height.

Robin was also super impressed with Mikayla's verbal skills. She about died of the cuteness when she asked to look inside Mikayla's mouth and she responded with a "No, pease!" Just for tracking purposes, and because I am super lame when it comes to maintaining the baby book, I'm going to note some of her verbals here. She knows the words for most items in our house and readily learns new one, so nouns are a breeze. She uses lots of verbs with -ing to talk about what she's doing, and she recently started with past tense as well. Her possessive pronouns are sharp, though we are working on "mine" instead of "my's" (because we say "yours", right?). She is excellent at listening to and completing multiple tasks; for instance, "go to the playroom and get your doodle. Bring it back, and we'll draw a hand!" She can answer catechism questions 1-8 and is learning number 9. The most precious is to hear her say "Made me and care of me" in response to the question about why she should glorify God.

Mikayla's favorite songs are "Fishers of Men", "This Little Light of Mine", "Holy, Holy, Holy" and others from church. She asks for "Praise God" and the "Glory Be" and we often hear her going around singing "Holy Ghost, Amen!" She requests momma's "Night Night Song" (Come, Thou Fount) and "Jamma's Song" or "Sunshine" (both refer to "You Are My Sunshine"). Also "Table", which is her name for the 23rd Psalm because she apparently remembers the last verse about having a table prepared before us. In church, (where we "worship Gog!") she sits beautifully and participates in worship up through the offering. She stands and holds our hands most times when we are singing, and she loves to flip through the hymnal and pretends to sing from it. She prays when we do, and we whisper-pray with her during the silent confession of sin and explain the Lord's Supper each week. It has led to really cool conversations with her about sin and Jesus outside of church - one day, she totally connected that Jesus died for her sins because he is perfect. Be still my heart! She reads her Busy Bible or draws during the sermon. I am so blessed by her desire to participate in worship, and how few "corrections" she requires (every so often Dadda has to take her out and, er, remind her to obey).

Potty training is ramping up, though I am still not pushing it very hard. But we had an awesome Sunday morning - Mikayla went potty at home, and then was dry after Sunday School when I usually change her. She pottied at church then, and stayed dry through worship! She didn't want to use the potty again afterward though, so that ended the winning streak. Still, I am optimistic that perhaps soon we can start this in earnest and get her out of diapers. She usually tells me when she has to go #2 but not with enough warning to, you know, do anything about it. We'll get there.

Overall, Mikayla is super obedient and responds well to discipline. When we do have to correct her, we talk about God telling us in the Bible that we must obey momma and dadda. So then we ask, "Who must you obey?" and she gives us a tearful "Momma Dadda". It is so precious. And after discipline, she is usually all smiles pretty quickly and ready to go try again. While there's no such thing as the perfect toddler, her little heart really loves her family and friends and harbors so much creativity and humor already. I am hard pressed to complain very long or loud about her behavior because she's just so darn sweet!

And don't even get me started on little brother. His post will come, but yesterday he ate his first cracker (I had nothing else to give him at the doc office!) and today I found him halfway up the stairs. Good grief!

In closing, precious baby girl, you continue to bless our lives with so much love and laughter. I watch you play, and you have so many ideas and opinions. Everything about you just makes me giggle and want to eat you up. Right now you are vigorously rocking on the horse you got for Christmas, in between watching Letter Factory and imitating the letter sounds. There is so much that a simple blog post fails to capture about you. But know that your Dadda and I love, love, love you! As soon as I hit the publish button here, I'm gonna gobble you up with a big tiss!

No comments:

Post a Comment