First, Mikayla Grace had her four-month birthday last week (on May 12, for those keeping score at home). Our new pediatrician doesn't do weigh-ins at the immunization visits, so near as I can figure she is at least 15 pounds according to our super-precise bathroom scale, whose numbers and hash marks I can barely see from my towering height of completely average. I have to wonder how my vertically gifted husband comes up with any sort of reliable data when he uses the thing.
I digress. But you were fairly warned.

Due to a growth spurt in the last few weeks, Mikayla is now into the next size of diaper prefolds, which will fit her until she hits 30 lbs. She is on the fence with regard to diaper covers; I feel sort of bad for the smalls as we streeeeetch them around her tush, but the mediums are still a little overkill. This is why I think she is a little more than 15 pounds - the mediums are supposed to start at 18 pounds, and are only the slightest bit big. In clothing, just today I started to put away her 3-6 month things. Some of them still fit (dresses, onesies that run big), but she is definitely into her 6-9 month pajamas. Somehow I only have one pair of 6 month jammies, so I pulled out the 6-9 as well and...they are not nearly as ridiculous on her as they should be. She is so long! Her thighs are just starting to chunk out, but for the most part she is an athletic, agile little peanut.
Mikayla at 3 months:

Mikayla at 4 months:

At four months, Mikayla rolls easily from front to back. She pulls her feet in, sticking her bottom in the air, and then topples over. Sometimes she stops halfway and hangs out on her side. The best part is that she only rolls when she should be falling asleep. We have caved at times to the pressure of her pitiful wails when she is in her crib like a turtle on its back. When, oh when, will she learn to flip back over? And she refuses to roll on command, so we may not have photographic evidence until she starts kindergarten. Mikayla also expresses her kinesthetic genius by holding - yes HOLDING - her toys. I can say with the humility of a first-time momma that your child has never grasped a rattle nor shaken a linky toy with the sheer brilliance that Mikayla demonstrates. You can just see in her eyes that she is thinking very deeply about her every move. (Hmm...I just realized this could also be interpreted as a sign of slowness...nah. Denial, it's not just a river in Egypt. [That one's way funnier out loud. Oh shoot, where was my train of thought?]) Oh right - Mikayla is just constantly learning about her little, rapidly-growing world!

I am also pleased to report that we have *drumroll* a SCHEDULE!! Well, if you don't count the past few weeks when Mikayla had that growth spurt and that nasty head cold. And if you sort of disregard the crying fits at bedtime. I guess this is like saying that except for the exceptions, we have a rule. But still - she gets up like clockwork around 7 a.m. (praise the Lord she has bumped it back a little from 6:30!), naps at 8:45 for at least an hour, often two. Afternoon naps are briefer and move around a little, but it's normal for those to develop a little later than the morning nap according to my hero, Dr. Weissbluth. (Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child = the sleep & schedule Bible of first-time parents.) We also discovered the beauty of leaving her in bed for a good ten minutes when she appears to be stirring...she has turned 45-minute naps into 2.5-hour naps by falling back asleep.

Mikayla's little personality is absolutely delightful. Joel has made a habit of peeking into her room each morning before he goes for his shower. This is usually a little before 7 a.m., and he tells me that she is usually flipped onto her back and awake at that point. And when she sees dadda peeking into her crib, she goes absolutely BANANAS with smiles and wiggles. It is their special moment before he heads off to work and before I get her up for the day. Then we spend our mornings together playing, cuddling, nursing, and napping before I get ready for work myself. It is so precious to me that Joel can be with her while I'm gone, and makes it so much easier for me to be back at work part-time.

I have been saving the most momentous update for last. Are you ready for this? Mikayla has been drooling for at least the past month, chewing on her hands and having mystifying crying spells at bedtime. We suspected teething, but saw nary an incisor on which to place the blame. Then, just last night, I arrived home to Joel changing her into her jammies and he pointed out what we've all been waiting for. Mikayla Grace, my sweet little baby who was only just born, has not one, but TWO bottom teeth poking through her gums!! I scooped her up and hugged her tight, and wondered who would be showing up on our doorstep next week asking for her hand in marriage. Joel thought that was a bit much, but doesn't it feel like they grow up right before our eyes?
Oh, and if you think I have photographic evidence of the teeth, you have obviously never attempted to photograph the inside of a baby's mouth. If you don't have a baby handy, try nailing jello to the wall with one hand and snapping a clear shot with the other. Email me the result and we will all have a good laugh at your expense.

Aaaaand you're up to date with Mikayla Grace! Thanks for stopping by!
SDG!
Oh, you are terribly funny, and it brought back lots of happy memories (except for the hand in marriage part -- oops I didn't say that)!
ReplyDeleteActually I'm very happy with Ben, just not with Jenn getting married! :)