Maybe She'll Let Me Make Her Prom Dress

Hold onto your hot dogs, folks - momma learned to sew!

This is noteworthy. As some of you may know, I am good at lots of things. Walking while chewing gum, eating cupcakes, etc. But the things I am not good at, I really really just tank. Such things include, but are not limited to, statistics and sewing. I have had some far misses involving fabric and scissors (you read that correctly; I did not even get to the part where a needle was required.)

So imagine my delight when, today, for the first time in years, I operated a sewing machine with the result of a wearable, sewn-together item!

Now, granted, all I did was cut apart a pair of socks and re-sew to create a pair of very sock-like things. This is not exactly Home Ec. rocket science. But seriously. I have spent literally minutes envying people who can just throw together a little something to line a basket or cover a pillow, frustrated at my inability to make connections between the parts of my brain responsible for spatial reasoning and motor functioning. I sew about as well with my hands as I do with my feet. When you have a textile-related disability of this severity, coming up with two pieces of fabric that are joined with thread is really something.

But, thanks to our friends Chandra and Camille (who helped tremendously by repeatedly spitting out her pacifier and modeling her own Baby Legs), Mikayla and I magically transformed two pairs of adult knee socks into some adorable homemade Baby Legs! Behold:


Please note that I changed her into this outfit before heading to Chandra's place for our sewing tutorial, knowing that this onesie would match the to-be-created Baby Legs and that I would want her to look matchy and adorable as soon as they were finished. Please also note that I had not even snapped the onesie before she spit up all over herself. Finally, please note that I allowed my baby to wear her dirty onesie because I am nothing if not committed to matchy-and-adorableness. Even slightly soiled, matchy-and-adorableness. Please don't take away my momma membership card over this.

(I also happen to LOVE that she matches her crib sheet in this photo. WIN!!!) (What does it say about me that possibly my favorite photo of my daughter involves her rump rather than her face, because of a well coordinated color scheme?)

In summary, the magnitude of my neuroses is dwarfed only by my delight and gratitude to Chandra for helping me learn a new trick today. I told you this would become a blog post!

Now, off to pull my sewing machine out of the attic to see how many ways I can mess up what I learned not two hours ago...if I'm not on Facebook in thirty minutes, send someone with scissors to extract me...

No comments:

Post a Comment