36 Week Reflections

Dear sweet pea,

Today I am 9 months pregnant - 36 weeks exactly! You will be here, Lord willing, in just about a month! Oh, how excited everyone is getting, preparing for your arrival. Everyone, but mostly your daddy and me. We had our last birth class last night, decided on a pediatrician this week, and were told by the midwife on Wednesday that I'm about 1cm dilated with you bobbing, head down, around -2 station in my pelvis. You are getting ready to be born!

You move around so much these days, it's amazing that you still have room for all your romping. And you get hiccups every day, which are just adorable and only sometimes make my insides feel tired. Your movements are getting stronger; at times, you have kicked me so hard that I have doubled over. Once, a few weeks ago, you kicked so hard during church that even your daddy saw my belly leap and was astonished! But most of the time you are just reminding me of your determined little presence, and practicing for your arrival when you will suddenly need all of those muscles.

All in all, sweet pea, you wear me out. I've been so tired this past month, and don't anticipate any greater energy as Christmas approaches. Thankfully your wonderful Gramsy and Aunt Brittany are taking charge of all of the Christmas preparations. My primary task is to get all of the Christmas presents wrapped this weekend. I think I can, I think I can! I have learned to only put a couple of things on my to-do list each day; anything that I accomplish beyond that is a great bonus.

I also have to admit, sweet one, that my readiness changes from day to day. Sometimes I feel that if you were to be born this very minute, it would not be soon enough! But other times I realize how much more baby laundry needs to be washed, how many nursery details remain to be finished, how many loose ends there are to tie up at work, how empty our birth center bag is, and most importantly, how different our lives will be once you arrive. It can all be overwhelming to think about!

I think we have the important things ready: Your crib is all made up, longing silently for a sweet baby to sleep there. Just one more load of baby laundry, and you will have plenty of tiny clothes to wear, thanks to our dear friend Laurie. Your daddy brought home the most comfortable rocking chair so that I can nurse you in your room at night. We have enough newborn diapers to make it through, oh, the first few days at least. Most of these things have been given to us by dear friends and family. The Lord has surrounded us with the most incredibly supportive, generous people, all ready to help us welcome you.

You know, sweet pea, as I reflect on our Father's many good gifts to us, I find comfort and realize it is not just up to us to prepare ourselves. He has given all we need for this new season of life, and will bring you at just the right time to teach us ever more about His providence and faithfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment